Monday, November 28, 2005

Happy Anniversary, Jackass

My parents recently celebrated their 42nd wedding anniversary. To commemorate the event, I thought I'd share a story I wrote about them three years ago with the blogosphere...

The lovebirds began their 39th wedding anniversary like many other couples do. It's how they ended it that left me scratching my head.

Dad started off the day by leaving a dozen roses for Mom to find in the refrigerator. Later that evening, they shared a romantic candlelit dinner at a nice restaurant, exchanged cards and gifts. They were well on their way to a perfect evening.

Then they went to see the movie Jackass.

"We didn't even know it was a TV show," Dad said. "We'd never heard of Jackass."

Added Mom: "I thought it might be a heart-warming movie about a mule, kind of like Walt Disney's Gus. But I should have known it was trouble when the ticket seller laughed that a 58-year-old woman said 'Two for Jackass, please.'"

For others who don't know, or live in a Footloose-esque town that doesn't allow dancing, Jackass started out and still is a half-hour stunt comedy show on MTV. The movie featured stuff that was too gross to show on regular TV.

The craziest stunts performed by Johnny Knoxville and the rest of the creative yet demented Jackass cast included:

1. A guy going into a hardware store and taking a dump in one of the floor model display toilets.

2. A guy who shoved a matchbox car up his colon, then went to the doctor for X-rays (a T-shirt of the X-ray is one of the many movie collectibles available).

3. Countless stunts that involved trauma to the testicles.

Not the type of movie people with senior citizen discount privileges tend to go see in general, let alone on their anniversary. But leave it to my Mom and Dad to mistake Jackass for a romantic comedy.

They were fish out of water in the theatre and wanted to bail, but Mom didn't want to be impolite and leave while others were trying to enjoy the flick. So she spent most of the 87 minutes with her eyes covered like a kid in a horror movie, occasionally asking Dad "Is it OK to look yet?"

"We had no idea it was going to be that kind of movie," Mom said. "We just heard some critic on the radio give it a really good review."

Apparently it was some local jackass critic from Fargo, not Roger Ebert. Mom didn't know the critic's name, but chances are he wouldn't like Citizen Kane or Casablanca because no one got kicked in the nuts, threw up, or drove toy cars up their asshole.

"What made it so awful was the fact they weren't acting," Mom said, trembling. "It was real. They did such terrible things to their bodies, I couldn't stand to watch. I spent most of the time with my coat over my head."

Dad said the anti-chick flick probably wouldn't receive any Oscar consideration with the exception of maybe a best supporting actor nod to the guy who pinched a loaf in the plumbing section.

"Guys crapping, barfing and kicking each other in the balls - they call that a movie?" Dad asked. "When's the last time you saw Paul Newman take a shit in public or Robert Redford try to stick a Tonka truck up his ass, then try to make a movie out of it?"

I'd never seen it, but chances are Mom would want to see it if the macabre movie actually starred those two actors. She still thinks they're hotties. Knoxville, Steve O and the rest of the Jackass gang were a different story.

"Did you at least like Wee Man?" I asked, thinking the cast's little person might have been a tiny bright spot to the ordeal.

"Wee Man?" Dad wondered. "I don't remember him. Why do they call him that? He must have pissed on someone and I missed it."

Mom was particularly horrified when the Jackass cast stuffed fireworks up their rear ends and detonated them. Equally disturbing to her were the guys who tied "bottle rockets to their dongs."

"They call those things bottle rockets for a reason," Mom said. "The ass isn't meant to be a launching pad, and a dong can't head into space without the rest of the astronaut!"

Dad summed up the whole event nicely: "We've seen a lot of shit in 39 years together. Jackass ranked right up there. But if we can make it through that movie, we can make it through anything."

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

hilarious! better than something from the Onion!

On My Watch said...

"What we have here is failure to communicate. Some folks you just can't reach."

Your poor Mom & Dad. But that is funny.

This year they should go see Walk the Line - I think that's a safe bet.

Jeremy said...

That sure beats the Hell out of seeing one of those movies with yur parents. My buddy and his family went to "Closer" together during one of the holidays. They figured that it starred Natalie Portman and Julia Roberts, so it must be wholesome. Imagine sitting next to your parents as Julia Roberts describes the difference in the taste of semen from one guy to the next...ouch!

:P fuzzbox said...

That was too funny. Sounds like your a chip off the old block. Your mom and dad seem like they have one hell of a sense of humor.

Rocky said...

LISA - Wow, being a faithful reader of The Onion myself, that is a really huge compliment. Thank you for reading my blog!

WATCHER - My Dad's a big Johnny Cash fan, so I'm sure they'll be walking the line. They're usually up for anything at the movie theatre, except maybe Jackass 2.

TJOINT - Hilarious! That would be interesting listening to that type of subject matter with one's parents. Mine are usually pretty open-minded and laid back (example: we saw George Carlin together in Vegas), but those Jackass stunts kind of creeped them out.

FUZZ - Thanks! And, yes, Mom and Dad have great senses of humor, and such an easy-going attitude. They also talk a lot and don't clam up when I get out a notebook or tape recorder, which helps capture their best quotes and helps my "reporting" about them.

ANELIZE - So glad you ran across my attempts at humor. Thank you for the flattery. I'd be happy to trade links with you! :-)

Anonymous said...

The part where the guy took a dump in that display model was h.i.l.a.r.i.o.u.s.

Marti said...

ROTF!

I used to be an x-ray technician - you'd be amazed at what people stuff up their butts - LOL

Thanks for the great laughs!

Helen the Felon said...

Dude...your mom said DONG.
It don't get no better than that.

Haddock said...

I just watched the Jackass Movie on German TV the other night. The taking a dump in the shop was definitely the funniest.

Your parents were very brave and quite cool to sit through the whole film. :)

Anonymous said...

Your story got me to thinking about anniversary gifts in general. I know that your first anniversary gift is supposed to be something made of paper. The fifteenth anniversary is crystal. The gifts get better the longer you stick with it (marriage that is!. 25th anniversary is silver, 50th gold, 60th Diamond. I'm not quite sure what the 42nd anniversary gift is supposed to be; according to your parents' experience I would have to say it might be vomit or doo doo or just about anything involving your rectum(carefully packaged matchbox cars!). Doesn't really sound better than crystal or silver, but you never know! Incidentally the five year anniversary gift is wood. I don't know about you, but I would like to get wood every year on my anniversary.

Dear Jane... said...

the only thing I can envision funnier than your parents viewing the Jackass movie, would be mine viewing it...my mother, who seriously thought that the F-word was FART up until a few years ago. I might actually die from laughing so hard just thinking about it...

Rocky said...

KUNSTEMAECKER - Yes, it was. He even brought in something to read while he took the dump!

MARTI - Thank you! Wow, you could probably start a blog by itself with just X-ray stories. My sister dated an emergency room doctor who pulled a long-neck beer bottle out of some guy's bum, then gave it to his assisting nurse and said "This Bud's for you."

HELEN - It really doesn't. She said it twice even. I was laughing so hard it hurt just hearing her use the word "dong." It was funny because she kind of hesitated before saying the word, so maybe that was her toned-down term.

HADDOCK - Jackass is amusing. The hardware store clip is pretty hard to beat. Bold comedic brilliance. I agree, Mom and Dad were really great sports to weather that storm.

SPAMMY - Too funny! It would be interesting to know what the 42nd anniversary gift is supposed to be. Maybe it is matchbox cars. LOL
My wife and I just celebrated out fifth anniversary. I gave her wood ;-D Thankfully, she didn't want to return it!

JANEY - She thought the F word was fart? Very funny. Wow, she would have been more shell shocked than my Mom at Jackass then.
I wish everyone to have the pleasure I did to hear your parents recall seeing Jackass.
I think I might buy Mom and Dad the Jackass DVD so they can enjoy it again for their 43rd anniversary at home.

just me, bitches said...

I, um, know Steve O. Or is that knew? Or met. I can't really remember, but Dan's best friend and I were just talking about him a couple of days ago.

The boy definitely rode the short bus to school.

I wish I knew Wee Man so I could introduce you.

warcrygirl said...

Dammit, I read this the other day and I could have sworn I left a comment! Dude, your parents rock!

Rocky said...

CRAZY DAN - Jackass stunts are the shit, especially in the plumbing store section of a hardware store, or in the X-Ray lab. Do all of your friends have really high voices from repeated nut trauma?

JUDIBOOTIE - Wow, that's funny you know Steve O. Did Wee Man ride the short bus, too? ;-D

WARCRY - Yes, my parents do indeed rock. If I ever win the lottery, I'd like to hire the Jackass cast to do a special stunt show in my Mom and Dad's backyard.