Friday, November 11, 2005

Bizarre Bazaar

I drove by a neighborhood church advertising its fall carnival today and it gave me a flashback of how sometimes these events are more bizarre than bazaar.

It was back in 1980 or 1981. My family lived in north Florida, where our church was throwing a bazaar complete with games, prizes and fun for the whole family. The organizers even planned to "broadcast" some music from a new 8-track system and asked parishoners to bring in their favorite tapes.

We'd been to events like this before. No one ever brought any decent music, meaning we kids were subjected to the tortures of 10-12 straight hours of christian and gospel music. My sister and I lobbied for Mom to be a trailblazer and bring some current music. She was pretty hip, so we didn't have to do much talking. She chose two of the hottest soundtracks of the time - Saturday Night Fever and Urban Cowboy - pretty ballsy selections to bring to a church party.

I knew Mom wouldn't approve, but I snuck my KISS Destroyer tape along anyway, hoping to crank "Detroit Rock City" and "Shout It Out Loud" to get the congregation rockin', then slow it down with "Beth."

The lady running the music booth, who I'll call DJ, was a nutjob censor who probably spent her spare time burning books. DJ ignored Mom's two contributions to the music selection and seemed to be content just showcasing her own gospel music collection.

After hearing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" for the 13th time, I finally decided to make my move. I went over to DJ and unveiled my KISS 8-track and begged her to play it. I almost got down on my knees, but we were outside church, not inside.

"I will not disrespect the church grounds by playing this filth," DJ snapped. "Do you know what KISS stands for? It's an acronym for Kids In Satan's Service. If you keep listening to this garbage, you'll end up being a devil worshipper!"

I attended the Catholic elementary school on the church's grounds and was somewhat of a hellion, but I was hardly the satanist Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley and Peter Criss had enlisted me to be. I just liked their rock and roll music.

Mom overheard part of DJ's devil worshipping speech and told her that she needed to start mixing up the music a bit and playing the other parishoners' tapes. OK, maybe not KISS, but only because they were too loud, not because they wore makeup, leather and platform boots. A couple of other mothers chimed in and agreed it was time to shake some booty like John Travolta.

Once Saturday Night Fever started playing, the place started rocking. People were strutting around the place to "Stayin' Alive." Kids were asking the priests and nuns to dance. It was getting really fun. Other people got some balls and went out to their cars and brought in their favorite 8-tracks too.

Things were hopping. I won a wonderful carrot cake during the cakewalk to the tune of "Jive Talking" by the Bee Gees. Take that, DJ! People wanted to hear the Saturday Night Fever 8-track in its entirety again, so put that fucking Jim Nabors tape down, bee-yotch!

People were dying to hear Urban Cowboy next. Parents and kids were two-stepping and square dancing on the basketball court having a great time. But then all hell broke loose, and The Charlie Daniels Band song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" was playing.

DJ tried to make it through the song, even though it tells the tale of a kid named Johnny who bets his soul he can kick the devil's ass in a fiddle-playing contest. The crowd was boot scootin' to the beat until near the end of the song, when Charlie Daniels utters the ever-famous "Devil, come on back if you ever wanna try again, I done told you once you son-of-a-bitch, I'm the best that's ever been!"

At that point, DJ screamed and yanked the tape out of the player. She just went fucking Footloose on my Mom. She threw the 8-track tape at her and publicly chastised her for bringing an 8-track with profanity on it at a church event that involved "God's children." Except me. I was a KISS devil baby.

DJ ranted and raved and pretty much said Charlie Daniels was the anti-Christ for saying "son-of-a-bitch" in that song. He was also "going to hell for glorifying gambling and potentially giving his soul to Satan." She looked at me when she said Charlie Daniels was "10 times worse than KISS." DJ probably had an acronym for The Charlie Daniels Band, too, but I was afraid to open that can of worms. Before her holier than thou tirade was over, she might have even threatened to outlaw dancing in the entire county.

I didn't get it. I heard them read the word "ass" straight from the bible in church once, but DJ didn't snatch the good book away from the priest and bitch him out. Ass was way worse than son-of-a-bitch in my book.

Mom was totally embarassed, but my friends thought she was the coolest lady ever because she made DJ play the "son-of-a-bitch" tape at church. You could hear a pin drop at the bazaar now, so DJ tried to save face after going psycho in front of the whole congregation by getting the party rocking again.

"No worries, my people, I will now only play the current music without all of the filth that foul-mouthed redneck Charlie Daniels and his devil band call music," she said hysterically, almost crying. "I promise from here on out with God as my witness, I will play nothing but clean music with clean language for good clean fun."

The next tape she put in was Blondie. Let's just say the tide was about to get pretty fucking high for DJ, and she wasn't wearing capri pants. The second or third song to play was "Rapture." This made my dirty little friends and I laugh because we knew the lyrics for this song included the words "finger fucking." DJ was totally clueless when Debbie Harry sang that part, prancing around like she was auditioning for American Bandstand. She mistook our cheering and laughing for her choice of music and idiotic energy. But the real source of our amusement was the fact she flipped out over "son-of-a-bitch," yet "finger fucking" didn't even warrant the blink of a fake eyelash.

The next tape she played was my friend's favorite. It was Tattoo You by The Rolling Stones. The second song to play was "Start Me Up." My friends and I laughed even harder because we knew the whole song was about getting laid. Even better, towards the end of the song, Mick Jagger would sing "You make a dead man come" not once, but twice!

DJ was clapping along and yelling for everyone to sing along. If only she knew all the words. "Start me up!" she squeaked. "Yeah, wooooo!" She was more annoying than some 13-year-old from Buffalo making a request on MTV's TRL.

After the bazaar, Mom went to retrieve her Saturday Night Fever 8-track. DJ scolded her to be more careful what music she brought next time and to screen it for profanity. Mom was starting to feel bad again, so I decided it was time to speak up.

"Don't worry, ma," I said. "Your 8-track just said 'son-of-a-bitch.' She played shit later that talked about finger fucking and making some corpse come. She's just pissed because your Urban Cowboy 8-track wasn't dirty enough for her."

DJ almost fainted. Seriously. After Mom picked her jaw off the sidewalk, she dragged me away from the area, telling me that "11-year-old boys don't talk like that." I felt bad because I thought I had embarassed her again.

When we got in the car, I thought Mom was going to give me a good ass-chewing. Instead, she started laughing and thanked me for having such a good ear and pointing out what the lyrics to those songs were. However, she told me I shouldn't use those words or sing those verses aloud, especially around DJ.

Then Mom put in my KISS tape and cranked "Shout It Out Loud" for the drive home.

14 comments:

:P fuzzbox said...

I can't see what the DJ would have against 'Destroyer'.It has the gospel tune 'God of Thunder' on it.

Rocky said...

FUZZ - You have a great point there, that is a holy rockin' roller. She would have really shit a few years later when I was cranking Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil," but by then we had moved to North Dakota.

just me, bitches said...

Way to go Mrs. L!!!! I see where her little boy gets his sense of humor.

Seriously, though, way to take on North Florida's right-wing ways. If only there were more of you up there.

Jeremy said...

Rocky - please tell me you're part of the "I know everyone else in St. Paul due to Catholic Grade School" population. Did you go to Nativity, St. Marks, St. Lukes, Highland Catholic, etc. How many Catholic grade school does our town need? I even went to STA and UST just because I didn't know what else to do...

Rocky said...

JUDIBOOTIE - The beauty of us living in North Florida was that we were also "Yankees" and I don't mean we played baseball for New York. Apparently the whole Civil War thing takes more than 100 years to forget. Coincidentally, my jacket was blue, not gray, adding fuel to the fire.

TJOINT - Always a pleasure to meet a fellow Catholic school boy. I was Catholic schooled from 5th grade through high school, but was not blessed to attend St. Paul schools. If we had lived here then, I'm sure I would have been at one of the many you mentioned. My 5th and 6th grade years were at Epiphany in tiny Lake City, Fla., and the rest was in Bismarck, N.D. However, we plan on sending future children to St. Lukes. In college, I could have kept the Catholic tradition going, but opted to attend North Dakota State (one of my good friends I met there went to Cretin). My wife and I moved to St. Paul in the fall of 2000 following our marriage (we'll never leave now that we're here!).

Jeremy said...

That's awesome. I got into a few out of state colleges, but I just couldn't leave St. Paul. The choice had nothing to do with family and friends (though it was nice having them around), but I think my barber (Sportsmans Barbershop on Cleveland and Randolph) was right: St. Paul is a slice of heaven. Hey, if you don't mind, I'm going to add you to my link list because I read your stuff everytime you post something and you write entertaining posts. I hope someone catches on and publishes your stuff because I'll definitely buy it.

Jeremy said...

Oh, if you don't want to be linked, just drop me a comment or send an email to the address on my site.

Rocky said...

You are not kidding. St. Paul is a slice of heaven. My sister lived here from about 1991-1999 and I just really became attached to the city from visiting her.

Hey, I'd appreciate the blog link. Thank you. It's really funny you decided to do that because I just told my wife tonight I was adding you as a link to mine because I enjoyed your blog.

I would have done it by now, but I've been pretty shell shocked all day since the Vikings emotional road win. I really still can't believe it. What a wild game. Towards the end, it was like I somewhat expected to see the Vikes crumble in OT, then they go out and win it, on a FG no less. A great day for Minnesota sports.

Thanks for the comments about my writing. My dream is to get published, but the most rewarding part is making people laugh. You certainly entertain me with your blog. Your NFL stuff is especially great.

On My Watch said...

great writing! I can relate to the rock and catholic school thing - reminded me of the whole backward-masking/secret satanic messages panic. Sounds like DJ needed to make an appt with Dr. Love.

Russ said...

What a hilarious story! Oddly enough, "bitch" seems to be an acceptable curse word now. When I was growing up in the late 80s and 90s, I don't remember hearing it uncensored on the radio and such.

Leigh Ellwood said...

Funny. My hubby likes to tell a story of when he was a teenager and he was dragged to some Christian rally where rock records were being burned. He wore his portable tape player, and his mom was upset he didn't pitch the tape in the fire. He said, "Mom, it's ABBA, come on!"

Apparently the devil isn't Swedish.

Rocky said...

ONMYWATCH - Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Yes, that backward Satanic message thing created quite the stir.

RUSS - How true. Bitch and ass are spoken pretty freely on the radio and TV airwaves now. DJ's ears have probably burned off. Thanks for reading and commenting!

LEIGH - I appreciate your comment! That's funny on the ABBA tape. I hope he was able to save "Dancing Queen" from the flames.

warcrygirl said...

Sheesh, north FL is pretty much in the South, right? That DJ sounded like she was more Southern Baptist than Catholic. Besides, everyone knows that KISS stands for Knights in Satan's Service, just like AC/DC stands for Anti Christ, Devil's Children.

And who died and left her in charge of who gets into Heaven and who doesn't? ;) Your mom rocks!

Rocky said...

WARCRY - I am disappointed I never got to see this woman's reaction to the following bands: Motley Crue, Poison, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Cinderella, etc.
And yes, she thought St. Peter had been fired by God as the pearly gates "doorman" and she had been promoted to the job. Nutcase!