Monday, November 14, 2005

Don't duck the question

For the first time ever yesterday, I called a Chinese restaurant without the intention of ordering food. I just needed to have a nagging question finally answered.

What the fuck is mock duck?

I saw it on a takeout menu and have been wondering what it really is. Mock duck? Does that mean it's a fake duck? Is this a fancy way to say pigeon?

"I have no idea," my wife admitted. "Who cares? It probably tastes like chicken anyway."

That answer was amusing, but it didn't satisfy the reporter in me. One thing was almost certain: It couldn't be a rubber duck because they are not edible. With the Minnesota Vikings game over, now I could focus my full attention on getting to the bottom of what mock duck actually is. I've had real duck. It's really good. Mock duck doesn't sound very tasty.

My definition of mock duck? When Elton John would dress up in those ridiculous outfits for concerts in the 1970s. But I doubt the restaurant was serving him with sticky rice.

It was time to get some answers, so I decided to call the phone number right on the take-out menu. A peppy young lady answered the phone.

"Hello, can I take order?"

Me: "I'm not sure yet. Maybe you can help me decide. What exactly is mock duck?"

"It cheap."

Me: "No, I don't need to know how much it costs. I was wondering what it is. The name makes it sound like fake duck? So, is it a chicken who liked to swim once in a while?"

"No, I told you it cheap."

Me: "What? A cheap duck? Do you mean a seagull?"

"You crazy."

Me: "I'm crazy? You're serving something called mock duck. If you can go to a nice place and get duck under glass, what do you serve mock duck under? Plexiglass? And you still haven't told me what type of bird the cheap duck is."

"No, cheap. Like goat with no horn. Cheap. Baa-baa. Baby cheap."

Me: "Oh, you mean sheep. I got you now. You mean it's lamb? So it's not even a bird?"

"No duck. It baby cheap."

Me: "If it's lamb, why the heck do you call it mock dock?"

"When cheap meat get cut, it look like duck."

Me: "And they call it mock dock because of that?"

"Yes."

Me: "If you actually served duck would you cut the meat to look like sheep and then call it SPAM lamb?"

"I not sure. Maybe. You like try order of mock duck?"

Me: "I'm going to have to think about it. I will call you back."

I never did. Now a different question was stuck in my head. What the hell is mock crab? I suppose that's a piece of cut fish that looks like the shape of a damn crab. Well, I don't plan on calling a seafood joint to find out for sure. And I sure as hell am not going to ask a pharmacist what mock crabs are as his explanation would probably make me lose my appettite. Although he probably has some kind of mock shampoo that would clear it all up in a few days.

25 comments:

just me, bitches said...

But did you ask her how much the chopsticks were?

Jeremy said...

When I used to eat at Shueng Chen in Dinkytown, they told me their mock duck was based on Tofu. And your wife is right...it tastes like chicken (man, the guy that came up with that line was a genius).

Crazy Dan said...

I wonder what tehy call dog meat? I thnik it might be that moke crab you are talking about.

:P fuzzbox said...

Sounds like you might could use a course in Engrish 101.

Rocky said...

JUDIBOOTIE - I wish I would have asked her about the chopsticks. But she kept talking about giving me her fortune cookie for free.

TJOINT - Thanks for confirming what mock duck tastes like. And now I know there is more than one kind of mock duck (Tofu). True, about the guy who invented that phrase. I think toi throw people off, when I know something tastes like chicken, I'm going to say it tastes like "mock duck" or "frog legs" to throw them off. It will be a new way to say "tastes like chicken."

CRAZY DAN - I think they might call that "Bow Wow Mein", but I'm not sure.

Rocky said...

FUZZ - There you go giving Crazy Dan a hard time again. Haha, I love it.

MrAdVenture said...

I review Blogs,that's what they pay me for anyhow,and I am always in search for some new talent.
I send my reviews to over 400 Yahoo and Google groups all over the world,thereby promoting myself by promoting them,so if you know where I can find a good blog with excellent writing,original material around an original theme(see past reviews for samples)let me know!
Must be off,the search is just begining!!

WILLIAM said...

That is a very funny story.

Empress Maruja said...

i love that post! got my sides hurt a lot.

Dear Jane... said...

rocky, perhaps you should go back to your cereal fettish and lay off the mock duck?

Rocky said...

SAM - Hey, if you couldn't find good blogs with excellent writing, original ideas and themes in mine or any of my blogroll links or readers' blogs, then I really can't help you! There was a bunch of really great sites right under your nose, dude.

WILLIAM - Thank you for the compliment and for stopping by!

EMPRESS - Glad you enjoyed it. Making your sides hurt, although painful, is the ultimate compliment to a writer who is trying to be funny. Thank you.

CT - I have been unable to work up the courage to try mock duck, so I'm taking your word for it.

JANEY - You're right. I'd much rather enjoy a bowl or three of Boo Berry before eating Mock Duck any day of the week.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed that entry. Very good!

Until next time!

just me, bitches said...

But it not duck, it cheap! You know, baa-baa, brack cheap?

And 29 cent for chopstick? That is a bargain for me.

I tole you.....

Name that comedian.

Rocky said...

KUNSTEMAECKER - Thank you for the compliment and for reading my entry.

JUDIBOOTIE - Hmmm, you have me stumped. It doesn't sound like Carlin...

just me, bitches said...

Murphy. Eddie Murphy. Prior to Raw, I do believe.

Anonymous said...

I'm just curious what stories sam clemens the blog reviewer would find original. Maybe something about a couple of boys who go rafting on the Mississippi with a runaway slave. Almost as original as the name he's chosen to write his review's under.

Rocky said...

JUDIBOOTIE - I don't remember that bit, but now I want to see it. Eddie has an ice cream bit from Raw that is one of my favorites.

SPAMMY - I think Ebert just reviewed Sam's site and gave it one finger up!

SHAKEN AND STIRRED - I always trying to educate and entertain. So glad you stopped by!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you've been linked! Sorry it took me so long.

stacey said...

Really good story and I like your page.

Michael said...

That was funny.


Take Care
Michael

Unknown said...

there are all kinds of quacks in this world :))

Rocky said...

MEANY - Thank you for the link! Keep your entertaining blogs coming from Iraq.

STACEY - Thank you for the compliments, I'm truly flattered.

ANN - Way to open the can o' whoop ass on Sam. He's really missing the boat by just spamming comments and not actually reading the blogs. If he'd check out your blog, or any of my other linked blogs, he would find very original ideas and writing with a wide array of topics. Hopefully reviewing is not his day job.

MICHAEL - Thank you for the comment and for stopping by for a look.

KARMA - You are right on with the quacks. I feel very lucky that some good Karma has come my way ;-D

just me, bitches said...

Professor Rockson:

I believe it's the album prior to Raw. None of that "I got some i----cccc-eeeee crrrreeeeaaaammmmmm annnnndddddd yoooooouuuuuu aaaaaaiiiinnnnn'tttttt goottttt nooonnnneeee. Cauuuuuuuussseeeeee:

Your mama's on da welfare and your dad's an alcoholic" stuff.

But you can count on such classics as "The Boogie in your Butt" and "Hey lady, how you cross the street" and "Chopsticks." It's definitely not appropriate for church bazaars (or 8th grade trips to DC).

As for Sam Clemens, I have to agree with the rest of your minions (and by minions, I mean really funny people who read your blog, myself included). He's got, what, one review up and this is what he does for a living?

I spent one afternoon reading most of the links on your blog. That is, when I wasn't doubled over from laughter and dangerously close to shorting out my keyboard from the tears rolling down my face.

Think we'd break the guy if we all went in on one blog and all contributed?

warcrygirl said...

Bwahahahaha!! I love chinese food but I've never had the mock duck. I keep thinking of mock turtlenecks for some reason.

Me love you long time, Rocky!

Rocky said...

JUDIBOOTIE - If we all went in on one blog, the humor exploding from the blog might actually make Sam the Reviewer smirk. But he'd still spam a post asking if any of us knew of any good blogs with original ideas, etc.

WARCRY - Me love you long time, too! You so funny!