Thursday, March 30, 2006

Inquiring Minds Want To Know

This blog was launched a little over a year ago, but the Rocky Road Scholar started writing long before that. About 25 years ago, the bug to "report news" bit me hard.

We had just moved from north Florida to Bismarck, N.D. It was quite the change in scenery. Many of my new friends had newspaper routes. Delivering the paper just didn't do it for me. I longed to be on a different side of the business. I was more interested in the content.

Unfortunately, at the time, news and other current events didn't measure up to the action happening inside Rocky's residence. There was much better news at home, and I was just the kid to report it.

My Mom and Dad had an old typewriter and a copy machine in their home office, so printing would not be an issue. It was just a matter of writing the copy. Granted, I didn't churn out enough to fill the New York Times. I wrote just enough to fill one standard 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, which I named Rocky's Record. But it was loaded with good stuff.

Initially, my newspaper started to take a tabloid slant. It was mainly a bunch of gossip about my sister, Bubbles, who was 16 at the time. It was the perfect vehicle to continue picking on her, a little brother's duty. I mainly focused on who she was rumored to be dating, what she was wearing, what she ate and other juicy tidbits, ala The National Enquirer or The Star.

I tested the waters with Bubbles Sleeps Until Noon Again. That went over OK, so I tried Ditzy Bubbles Loses Scrabble Game to Sixth-Grader Brother next, before rolling the presses with Bubbles' Room Declared Disaster Area.

Eventually, I became an even bolder reporter, daring to tell the story: Shuttle Astronauts Report Seeing Zit on Bubbles' Face From Space. It read: "Yes, the zit was as big as Mt. St. Helens and every bit as unstable. But Bubbles has been working extra hard to try and contain the disaster, trying to pop it with a tweezers. Word on the street is, as soon as Dad gets home, he's going to help her take care of business with a vice grip, a hammer and a large chisel."

I even branched out on this story and was a photographer as well. I took a snap shot with a Polaroid Instant camera of her trying to pop it in the bathroom mirror. She went all Sean Penn on my ass, trying to inflict damage on her paparazzi brother, the camera and the fresh polaroid. The story still ran.

Eventually, I took on even bigger news stories, like Welcome to Dumpsville: Population, Bubbles.

It read: "Bubbles and Steve broke up four nights ago, but she's still laying in bed blubbering about it. He was a jerk. Get over it. When she isn't in bed bawling over this loser, she comes upstairs to have a snack, which usually consists of 4 donuts, 2 bananas, 2 Eggo waffles and about 7 glasses of orange juice. How long will it take for her to get over this? We're not sure, but it's no biggie. It's not like she's an old maid now."

You'd think this kind of edgey journalism would have led to death threats, but Bubbles would always laugh it off in the end. Until she heard I was selling copies of my paper to neighbors for 25 cents. Then she was pissed. But she forgave me again a while later and laughed about it.

Mom and Dad thought although it was a little mean at times, it was a major creative outlet for me. Maybe I reminded them of Peter "Scoop" Brady with my newspaper reporter fixation. I could have been a far worse brother, spraying Bubbles and her friends' with some goofy volcanic science experiment. But even Mom and Dad reached a point where no news was good news.

Like the day they were engaged in kitchen combat. Unfortunately, an embedded reporter was at the snack bar, eating pizza. He took notes on a napkin and it became his Pulitzer Prize hopeful story Stove Off But Kitchen Heats Up.

It read: "Dad took Mom's questions of why he was late for lunch as "nagging." As the tension grew, barbs were traded until Dad finally bellered 'Ah, blow it out your big ass!' Mom was lightning quick with her response: 'Oh, yeah? My ass isn't half as big as yours, buddy!'"

After Bubbles and I laughed about this fight for 20 minutes, I realized this was my Woodward and Bernstein moment. I had to get cracking on that cover story. Needless to say, those quotes were a huge hit with the neighbors. I sold a record number of Rocky's Record that day - 13 copies. It proved to be an unlucky number.

One of the copies came back to Mom and I quickly learned about censorship. She flipped when she found out I sold a play-by-play of her and Dad's kitchen spat to the whole neighborhood for $3.25. Rocky's Record was immediately shut down.

Mom and Dad laugh about all that now. And they actually enjoy my blog. So no worries of Rocky Road Scholar getting its plug pulled after this trip down Memory Lane.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

they didn't strangle you on the spot? damn you should be thankful =P

obviously its your destiny, most of us have no idea what we like now, let alone when we were 10 or so...

Alekx said...

You are lucky, my mom would have grounded me until 2 years after I was dead which time of death would have been about 30 seconds after the grounding verdict hammer was dropped.

Great story.

I never did anything bad to my sister..just go ask Burfica, nope wait she lies. Never mind

On My Watch said...

Rocky - you amaze me. You are brilliantly hilarious!!! I love your stories...but, Marsha or no Marsha, I'm glad I am not your sister. . :)

David Amulet said...

Well done! Of course, you leave us all wondering: Did you have the hair of Bernstein ... or the attitude of Woodward?

-- david

:P fuzzbox said...

Looks like you learned a lesson early in the power of the press vs. the power of an angry mom.

Jay Noel said...

That is hillarious stuff...you were born to write.

When I was is sixth grade, my friends and I would make science fiction radio shows on tape. We used sound effects and all kinds of stuff. Good times.

Sounds like my podcasts actually...

Anyway, my 5 yr old son wrote and illustrated a 14 page book called, "The Weirdest Boy in the World." He drew the pictures and dictated to me what was to be written on each page. I designed a cover for it, had the pages laminated and bound. He was so excited when he saw it. Just yesterday, he took his book with him to preschool. The teachers allowed him to "read" the book to all his clasmates.

Kids need the opportunity to be creative and shine - it does great things.

KC said...

Absolutely hilarious! Hey, I'm at work. I'm not supposed to be having a good time. Can I blame it on you if I get fired?

Jeremy said...

Excellent job avoiding the censors. Good night and good luck.

JohnB said...

That was awesome! This reminds me of when I was a kid, I would stalk my whole family with a 'point and shoot', usually when they were engaged in activities such as: propped up dirty feet from the ground up targeting their nostrils, kicking the lawnmower because it didn't start, or a mouthful of masticated eggs at the breakfast table...speaking of eggs, I once wrote down the events of being force-fed cold scrambled ovum one morning by my mother, to which I would read aloud to my parents' dinner guests at a later date. Need I mention the "Lead Balloon"?

StringMan said...

That was great. You had a nose for news at a young age. The headlines were hilarious.

Rocky said...

AKA FATTY - I am lucky to be alive, or at least not have permanent finger marks on my neck from attempted strangulations. I do think it is my destiny to fulfill my writer's dream.

RANEA - It was a near-death experience for me. Luckily, there were locks on the doors. I ate pop tarts for a few days just in case she tried slipping rat poison in my cereal.

ALEKX - You know, I think I may have been grounded and got my butt whooped by Dad'd belt, but the worst part was losing my little newspaper.

BAD GIRL - Mom, Dad and Bubbles did exercise a lot of patience with me. Then again, in my family "picking" on each other was viewed as a form of affection, so my newspaper was telling them how much I loved them :-)

WATCHER - Aw, thanks! But come on, you would have loved being my sister. We could have fought over who would get to make the attic their groovy new room.

AMULET - Actually, I had a great blend of both. I had a kind of bushy mullet (Wall Street Journal reporter in the front, Rolling Stone writer in the back) and the 'tude to match.

FUZZ - Yes, I learned the power of the press is no match for Mom.

PHOENIX - Wow, that's cool that you did radio shows on tape. Isn't it interesting what those early steps can lead to?
Very imaginative book by your son. That's great his teachers allowed him to read the book. It will be interesting to see what path his creativity leads him to.

KC - I'm glad I could lighten up your work day. Absolutely, you can blame it on me if you get fired.

TJOINT - I should have probably been really ballsy and did an underground newspaper right after the Record got shut down. That would have been a true test on the censors.

JOHNB - Haha! Hilarious! Pictures are indeed worth a thousand words. Sometimes if those pictures catch a family member's "bad side," they are worth at least 100 dirty words.
The scrambled egg story is classic. I especially enjoyed the fact that you shared it with dinner guests. I, too, would be so bold.

STRING - I appreciate that. I did have a nose for news. I also had impeccable timing to witness family events, especially the embarrassing ones that many would consider unfit to report.

warcrygirl said...

Oh man, that's great! And here my childhood entrepreneurial claim to fame was selling nickels for a dime.

Boy did I ever get busted for that.

Burfica said...

Alekx says I lie??? Well I may lie!!!! But at least I don't try to run over my baby sister with my truck!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I think Alekx is the reason I need therapy. hehehehe

I'm glad our son doesn't show reporter tendencies, there would be lots of fuel in this kitchen. hehehehe

Amy said...

Great post Rocky… I had a similar experience when I was a kid… although, admittedly mine involved sock puppets and an audience of one. No admission was paid – and the production was shut down after only one performance. Who wouldn’t have found a sock puppet re-enactment of Mom pinning Dad against the harvest gold and green kitchen linoleum and systematically trying to remove his thyroid with a sugar spoon interesting? It’s ART, art I say…

Rocky said...

WARCRY - Wow, selling nickels for a dime. That is brilliant. Remember wooden nickels? What could you get for one of those?

BURFICA - Ha! I love the sisterly squabbles. Very entertaining. Maybe your son will surprise you someday with a tell-all book he's been secretly scribing.

AMY - Yes! Now that sounds like a puppet show I'd like to see. Wish I could have been there. The dramatic recreations of actual events are usually the best type of sock puppet shows, hands down.
You pleaded art, and I tried pleading freedom of the press. I kind of hit a brick wall with that defense.

Jamie Dawn said...

You were a smart little bugger, and being your big sis must have been pure hell.
I had my own little monster brother to contend with.
We used to record radio programs and commercials.
What fun it was to be a kid!!
I love that you sold the family's dirty laundry around the neighborhood. I'm sure that many adults enjoyed the read as well. They probably paid their kids to go buy a copy from you.

Unknown said...

My sister used to beat the snot out of me for looking at her the wrong way. We're best friends now. But I NEVER would've gotten away with a paper.

And besides, in 6th grade I was too busy putting together dance routines with my BFF (best friend 4-eva HA HA HA) to Prince's Purple Rain.

Lot of good that did me now that I sit at a desk all day long and type. HA HA HAH

Ladybug Crossing said...

LOL!!! Boy do I wish I lived in your neighborhood when I was a kid!!! We weren't creative at all! We never even thought of doing something like that...
You have missed your calling, my friend! You are hysterical!!!
LadyBug

Rocky said...

JAMIE DAWN - Aw, radio commercials and programs. That does sound like fun. I didn't branch out much beyond my newspaper, which was well received in the neighborhood.

CURARE Z - I think the fact that Bubbles and I were so close (and still are) gave me the ability to get away with a little more.
Wow, dance routines for Purple Rain. Were they inspired by the movie, or purely by the music?

ANELIZE - If I was writing for the National Enquirer, I'd probably have a hit out on me right now by some pissed off celebrity. Either that or they would fire me because all I would write about is Bubbles not real celebrities.

LADYBUG - You would have had fun in my neighborhood. We were a pretty goofy bunch. In high school, it only got worse.

rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

well I feel pretty small now, I got my start spray painting neighbors houses. course that should be obvious.

Haddock said...

loved the "zit was as big as Mt. St. Helens" as seen from space bit. Teenage girls love that sort of press! :)

The Radical Notion said...

So you've always been creative and funny, huh? My Mom always asks me if I talk about her on my blog. She keeps bugging me to give her the address. Hell no. Then I can't talk about her if I want to. It's cool that your parents don't mind if you reminisce about them.

Unknown said...

Both the movie and the album Rocky. We were "hip." We even had matching outfits that were purple and white. I have pictures of this to prove it.

No, I won't share them. :-)

Debbie Cakes said...

(I just wrote a longass comment that Blogger managed to "lose". I will try again)

After coming close to spitting out my coffee twice, I decided it would be best to place my mug safely on the desk before I continued reading.

And don't change the subject, we need the results for Best Of Rocky Posts. Although, every post I read is, I think, one of your best.

Rocky said...

REV BB - Aw, spray painting neighbor's houses. We could have been quite a team back in the day. I could have told you stuff about my sister and you could have spray painted it on the houses.

HADDOCK - Ha! Yes, she was one thrilled teeny bopper to make my front page with her latest acne breakout.

T - My Mom and Dad are pretty supportive and cool about pretty much everything I do creatively. I'm very fortunate.

CURARE Z - I would have loved to have seen the outfits. Were you Wendy, Lisa or Prince? :-)

BAD GIRL - Ha! Loved the Harriet the Spy references. Bubbles was all Nancy Drew for a while.

DEBBIECAKES - Bummer. If I could find Blogger's ass, I would kick it for you. That is an incredible compliment about my posts.

The results for the favs I tacked on as an update to the Good Year of Blogging Post. Brokeback Burrito was a landslide winner.