Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Grin and Bear It

I was minding my own business, sitting on a bench in the Mall of America waiting for my wife to finish up some shopping when it appeared. I hadn't seen something that big, white and hairy since Christmas.

"Hey, you," the man, probably 400 pounds, grunted as he staggered up to the bench. "Is there enough room left on that seat for a big ol' polar bear?"

"Sure," I said, sliding down slightly to allow him more sitting space.

"Most people don't know what to think when I ask them that," he said.

"Really? People won't move over to let you sit down?" I asked.

"No, no! People get nervous when I tell them I'm a polar bear," he said.

This always happens to me. My personality is like a double-edged sword. I am very open and social, so I tend to attract a lot of people I don't know into conversation. Usually, these are people who end up being quite pleasant to be around. But that magnet also attracts a weirdo every now and then.

"Probably got you wonderin' too," he rambled on. "But it's true. Yep, I'm 100 percent polar bear. I should be up in Alaska chasing down seals for supper."

"Well, I guess I kind of know what you mean," I said. "I should be in Jellystone Park stealing pic-a-nic baskets."

"What?" he said.

"I was joking," I said. "You made it sound like you felt at home in the cold like a polar bear. I'd probably feel at home in a park eating hot dogs and potato salad like Yogi Bear."

"Oh, I wasn't joking," he said. "This is no cartoon. I really am a polar bear."

OK, I don't know what the hell was up with this dude, but he may have had one too many Icees in the former Camp Snoopy. Maybe he crossed the line and mixed the cherry and blue raspberry flavors, creating some weird mascot trip.

"You still don't believe me do you?" he said. "Well, I've got proof. Wanna see?"

I didn't know really what to say at that point. I was now engaged in a conversation with some sort of disturbed large mammal. I didn't spot any tracking tags on his ears, which meant he wasn't currently being monitored by animal scientists. But maybe he was a polar bear. He did sport a large matted white beard with yellowish spots, which may have been either blonde hair or mustard.

He whipped out this photo album cleverly disguised in a Barnes & Noble bag. There were pictures of polar bears all over it, and a picture of this guy's face in the middle. It read: My Polar Bear Book. What scrapbook club was stuck with this nutcase?

"You know what I am?" he whispered.

"Drunk?" I asked.

"No, no!" he growled. "I'm one of them crazy guys who straps on his bathing suit once every winter, cuts a hole in the ice and jumps in for a swim. I'm a polar bear, get it?"

Then he flips open his album and there are dozens of pictures of him, frolicking around on the ice of a frozen lake, jumping in the water, and splashing around. Later, there are pictures of same guy shivering under a mountain of blankets, looking like a Titanic survivor plucked from the frigid North Atlantic.

"Wow, I've never seen a polar bear look so cold," I commented. "You don't look too dangerous in that shot, all wrapped up in those plush blankets. You look more like a Care Bear."

"Care Bear!" he roared. "How dare you call me that! It's the worst kind of bear you could be!"

"You're insulted? I thought it was a compliment - Care Bears are so popular," I lied. "It's not like I called you Teddy Ruxpin."

"Who?" he said. "Well, anyway, I normally shake it off and don't need blankets, but it was 3 degrees that day. So there, I'm still a polar bear."

"Well, I don't feel the need to go winter swimming to pretend I'm a bear," I said. "If I was going to imitate a bear during the winter, I'd rather just hibernate in my den in front of the TV."

"You could never be a polar bear then," he snipped, slamming shut his album. "I can't believe there are people living in Minnesota like you. If you don't like the cold, you should just move to Jamaica."

I had heard more than I could bear at this point, so I went totally Nanook on his ass.

"Hey, chill out," I said. "If you are so obsessed with polar bears, maybe you should move closer to the Arctic Circle. And aren't you going a little overboard with the whole polar bear thing? I mean, you only do this once a year, right? I'd figure a polar bear would swim all winter long."

"I would swim more if they had more events," he backpeddled.

"What the hell do you need an event for?" I asked. "You're a polar bear. Or are you the type of polar bear who spends his weekends chugging cases of Coca Cola with penguins?"

"Those commercials don't reflect the true spirit of the polar bear," he snarled.

"And you do?" I laughed. "Have you ever made an Eskimo piss in his parka?"

"No..." he said somberly.

"And you call yourself a polar bear?" I said.

"Not just me," he countered. "I even have a certificate on page 34 of my album that says I'm a polar bear."

"Come on!" I laughed. "Polar bear, my ass. How'd you get here?"

"I took the bus," he said.

"Bus? But you're a polar bear!" I said. "What polar bears use the bus?! I would have thought you floated down the river on an ice floe."

"Well, if I could, I would," he said. "Usually I just walk like a polar bear."

"On all fours?" I asked.

"Sometimes!" he exclaimed.

"Have you been to the doctor's office?" I asked.

"What does that have to do with being a polar bear?" he asked.

"A lot. If you were a real polar bear you wouldn't be waiting in a reception area reading People for 45 minutes until the doctor's ready to see you," I said. "You'd be running for your life when that fucker is chasing you in a helicopter. Then he'd dart you with a tranq gun - pretty much the only way to perform a medical exam on a polar bear."

"Hey, waitaminute," he said. "That is the only way I'd let a doctor come close to me. I guess I really am a polar bear."

I finally nodded in agreement. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

30 comments:

On My Watch said...

what an ice hole. :)

Meg said...

Holy shit! I laughed out loud. I love encounters with crazy people like that...at the least it always makes for a good blog entry!

Thanks for your support in my battle. It's amazing the people you meet online who can offer comfort!

Anonymous said...

was this guy a certified polar bear? how can he prove it? =P

On My Watch said...

on second thought - maybe he was a bi-polar bear. ;)

Unknown said...

This guy could've been a Berenstain Bear...they wear clothes, they live in a house, they have jobs...

I guess he couldn't bear to keep his secret any longer.

Not that I want to know, but I assume he wasn't bare in the photos?! :-)

P.S. THANKS for visiting my site! :-)

David Amulet said...

This adds to the long, treasured list of great yarns beginning with, "I was minding my own business ..."

It sounds like this guy was a bit off center. Maybe he was confused about which pole had the bears, and he's gone back and forth searching for the place to make his home. It's the kind of thing that drives someone into manic depression.

Otherwise known as bi-polar disorder.

-- david
Also

ella m. said...

If you could sit through something like that without running away or bursting out laughing, I could really use you at my job.

We could have a field day between the guy who claims to be jesus, multiple personality mandy and the other sterling denizens of the overnight.

Pandora Wilde said...

I wonder if mentioning that "bear" in gay slang refers to hairy men would have been helpful?

Heee...probably not.

Marti said...

If e’er again into the chair
Sits one saying I am a bear
Look harsh, give them an evil stare
Narrow your eyes to brutal glare
Say, “Ha! For this I did prepare!”

Then shoot him.

LOL (just kidding of course)

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

JohnB said...

Only with vodka!

Burfica said...

at least you get the cute cuddly weirdo's. I always get the weirdo's that are talking to themselves, slapping themselves in the head and talking about knifing everyone around. I tend to slink away from those, and find me a nice cute cuddly police officer. hehehehehee

:P fuzzbox said...

I would have had to ask him about polar bear shrinkage.

Rocky said...

WATCHER - Ha! Good points. He was both an ice hole and a bi-polar bear.

MEG - Crazy people are fun, as long as they're not trying to kill me. P.S. - I will always support you :-)

AKA FATTY - I'm not sure how he got his certificate he claimed to have... maybe it was based on body hair.

CURARE Z - Ah, yes, I hadn't thought of the Berenstain Bear angle. Very possible.
And, no, thankfully there were no completely bare bears in his photo album. Although he had so much hair, shirtless he looked like he was wearing a white sweater with lots of loose threads.

ANELIZE - I am honored to have been your weirdest read. :-D

AMULET - Some guys who start the "I was minding my own business" end up telling erotic tales. Leave it to me to be stuck next to some guy who thinks he's a bear.

BAD GIRL - Awwww. Bear in mind, you probably will think of something later? Or you'll blow us all away with a comment in the next post.

ELLA - I was afraid to run because I heard that bears are more likely to attack. Eventually, I wanted to play dead so he'd leave.
Wow, that sounds like quite the co-workers you have. Is Multiple personality Mandy a Barry Manilow fan?

SERRA - Really? Wow, I had no clue. Maybe he was just trying to pick me up and he was frustrated that I was clueless to the lingo.

KURVES - If we were ever in the same room, perhaps we would spark a weirdo invasion.

MARTI - Very poetic response! Maybe Dick Cheney could help with the shooting part?

JOHNB - Knocking this guy out with vodka would be great as he would basically be a polar bearskin rug.

BURFICA - Yikes, I guess I should feel lucky to have only been dealing with a more "normal" weirdo like polar bear.

FUZZ - Haha, yes! Polar bear can probably only swim once a year because it takes that long for his nuts to drop back into place and for shrinkage to disappear.

Metal Mark said...

I tend to attract the crazies as well, but never any bears I am afraid.

Debbie Cakes said...

My favorite line, "That's the worst kind of bear!" he says referring to the Care Bear.


You can't argue with a crazy man. I am a magnet for all the loopies and have learned to just sit and listen and be as agreeable as possible until I can make a quick getaway.

Alekx said...

So did he have pedigree papers showing he was 100% polar bear, I mean he could have been a mutt after all. half polar bear and half kodiak bear, and those just don't get much money at the national polar bear shows.

Try having those weirdos yapping in your ear all day long at work. Trying to convince you that even though their boyfriend has hit them multiple times he really does love them
But I digress

The Radical Notion said...

Are you serious? Where do you find these people? LOL.

David Amulet said...

If I came across this ursa-nine cub, I'd give him a pad-dington on the head.

Or on the pooh-per. But his response to that would have been rather grizzly, you being polar opposites and all ...

-- david

Kim said...

Yup thats one wierdo I could cheerfully live without meeting!

Rocky said...

METAL MARK - I think this polar bear belonged in a zoo. He would be quite the attraction.

DEBBIECAKES - That dude had Care Bear issues. He was so insulted. My problem with crazy folk is I'm too much of a talker.

ALEKX - He claimed he had some sort of certificate, but I doubt it was breeding papers. I didn't want him to page too far back into his album for fear of running across a centerfold.

T - I'm as serious as a bear attack. You can find people like this daily at The Mall of America and other warm places, where crazies come in to get out of the cold.

AMULET - Haha! That comment was loaded for bear! Any pad-dington you'd give him would surely have resulted in a BooBoo.

KIP - Thank you for commenting! You can just keep living through my close encounters with these creatures. It's much safer that way.

Ladybug Crossing said...

LOL!!!
This is the best laugh I've had today!!
LadyBug

Kevin said...

Let me guess, you could count all his teeth on one hand, right?

Rocky said...

RANEA - I would have been afraid to watch this guy eat. He probably would have just ate everything with his paws, and instead of using a glass, just lapped at the water with his tongue.

LADYBUG - I'm flattered to have given you your best laugh today!

KEVIN - I was afraid to count his teeth, but he had some really sharp claws. Polar bears don't use nail clippers.

Amy said...

HAHAHA ! I have another friend who attracts "nutters" too! Very funny... at least it provides excellent "blog fodder."

phlegmfatale said...

I'm the same way - Husband calls me a weirdo-magnet. But this one around the bend and up the next hollow into bizarre. I'll bet he's dangerous, which is polar-bearish. I'll bet next time you're waiting at the mall, you'll be looking for a one-seater!

Oh, and thanks for stopping by my blog, too!

Rocky said...

CT - He was so into the polar bear thing, maybe he would have liked the sudden drop in temperature up the backside.

AMY - Yes, I attract nutters, but all in the name of entertaining people here :-) Oh, I used to be attracted to Nutter Butters, but I had to give them up.

PHLEGMFATALE - I will look forward to reading adventures of your weirdo encounters! I will bring some bear repellent with on my next Mall of America visit. I want to keep at least a ski pole away from that crazy critter if I am unlucky enough to cross his path again.

Jay Noel said...

I didn't know there were wild polar bells in Minnesota. Just disgruntled football fans.

Amy said...

oh my ... how i do love a good nutter butter...

but now i can't stop thinking about butter nutters... heh heh heh

i should seek professional help

StringMan said...

Rocky, you do attract some beauties. I once met a guy who looked just like Santa Claus, and he really believed he was. Actually had me wondering after I left him.

Rocky said...

PHOENIX - Yes, right you are on the disgruntled football fans. They do look like polar bears, especially after a loss to the rival Packers.

AMY - Maybe we should both be locked away in the Nutter Butter house, as we are both "crazy" for those cookies.

STRINGMAN - Sounds like a Badder Santa than Billy Bob Thornton. Maybe your Santa is my Polar Bear's brother?