Wednesday, March 15, 2006

My Post-Whammy Plan

I was bummed to hear that Press Your Luck game show host Peter Tomarken died in a plane crash earlier this week. Yes, he had big bucks, big bucks, but in the end, even he could not avoid The Whammy.

The Rockette and I heard the news while we were looking for some important documents. Then it hit us. Although our home looks clean on the surface, it's about as organized as a landfill once you start digging deeper. We just don't have a lot of our things in order.

This mess, Tomarken's accidental death and Kirby Puckett's passing at age 45 last week led The Rockette to say "If something happened to one of us, the other person would be totally screwed." She didn't just mean from losing a soulmate, but that the survivor would also have to sift through thousands of papers just to figure out what the hell was going on. That's not the type of burden you want to put on your spouse during a mourning period.

During this discussion, another uncomfortable topic arose. We had never really told each other about our preferred funeral arrangements should the unthinkable happen. Granted, I'm only 36 and she's only 33, but you just never know. It was a sad, dark, but necessary thing to discuss.

After The Rockette disclosed her "last wishes," I thought it was necessary to lighten the mood for a little while. It's tough for me to see her sad. I've been a goofball my whole life and have always turned to humor to brighten up any moment. I also like giving The Rockette a hard time for fun, so I figured it was time to do some macabre multi-tasking.

Here were my top 10 funeral ideas to try and get The Rockette smiling again...

#10 – Buy an empty lot somewhere and bury me on it. A few years later, remove my headstone and build a new house on my grave, then sell it to some unsuspecting family. This will enable me to go totally Poltergeist on their asses. Only a creepy midget lady telling me to go to the light would cleanse the house of my spirit.

#9 - Plant my body near my scumbag former boss' house and make it look like a clumsy homicide with all evidence pointing directly back at him. Even better, somehow get my body inside the trunk of one of his cars. Then make an “anonymous” tip.

#8 - Do a bottom's up open casket, meaning I want my body to be placed face down. The top part of the casket should be left closed but the bottom half should be open. My pants should be around my ankles, enabling my moon to shine for the open viewing. Anyone who didn't think I was a smart ass in life would get the picture now.

#7 - Have my best friend Spam and some lucky blog reader whisk my corpse off to some tropical isle and then masquerade as if I am still alive ala Weekend at Bernie's. I'm sure it would be much funnier watching Spam and one of my blog readers trying to drag my dead ass around than that movie was.

#6 – Put me in a suitcase and go to the airport. Talk about overpacking! Find someone with an identical bag and switch them. Then buy a ticket for their flight so you can watch them try to stuff me in the overhead compartment.

#5 – How about an Old West theme? First find a funeral home that still sells those old “pine box” coffins. You may have to go to western South Dakota for this, but I assure you it will be well worth it.

Dress me in country western clothes, preferably all in black. Then have a makeup artist fashion a fake bullet hole in my forehead (unless I happen to die in such fashion, then just leave as is). Create wanted posters featuring my face and a “reward” offer.

Then have funeral-goers pose with my standing corpse like they did in the Old West, taking pictures with one of those exploding flashbulb cameras of the era. Serve Tombstone pizza and invite Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, and Sam Elliott.

#4 - Babble some bullshit to Amy Grant how it was always my dream to climb Mount Everest and how you want to make that last wish come true for me. Then find some little Sherpa to try and drag my 335-pound dead ass up the mountain (no yak assistance allowed).

If he actually makes it, by all means, have him pitch my carcass next to the hundreds of oxygen tanks discarded there.

#3 – Donate my body to science. Make sure to film a videotape of my autopsy. My naked body would make more cops faint than the opening of Quincy when that sheet got pulled back in the morgue. Then Quincy would crack over when he sees my liver was bigger than Ruben Studdard.

#2 – Offer me for sale as emergency rations to any survivors from that Chilean soccer team that had co-pilot leftovers for 3 months in the Antilles. I've got way more quality meat, probably 175 pounds field dressed. I’m sure I would have great ribs, a tender rump roast and bitchin' drumsticks.

#1 - Some people are getting cremated into yellow diamonds as a keepsake for loved ones. Imagine the gargantuan rock my wife would have on her finger after my cremation! It would be way bigger than the ring Kobe gave his wife to smooth over that whole rapist thing.

22 comments:

Kim said...

lol My dad always said he wanted to be cremated and scattered in the air conditioning at work, so that he could be as much of a pain in life as he was in death.
It pays to plan i'm sure

:P fuzzbox said...

If you go for the western theme, give me a holler if you are looking for one of the six cowboys dressed in fine linen. But you better think about it cause I will probably hit on the pretty saloon girl singing a song.

I am thinking about having my ashes blown into space? Neil Armstrong did it. That way when people wish upon a star, they might be wishing on my remains.

David Amulet said...

Gene Simmons sells "KISS Coffins," so for only a few thousand dollars you could be buried in a cartoonish vault of KISS-related art.

If only it came with even 10% of the groupies he's slept with ... you'd easily outdo those suicide bombers' claims of getting 99 virgins in the afterlife!

-- david

On My Watch said...

Very funny stuff! # 4 & 8 were my favs. :)

my request is to be buried with a large fire extinguisher. you just never know...

Anonymous said...

I think it would be fun to tape record a stand-up comedy routine while you are still living and have someone plant the tape player on your freshly embalmed corpse to be played during the funeral services. You could tell a lot of stupid St. Peter jokes. Maybe let out that your funeral director is a necrophiliac ..."not really, Just a joke folks, Laugh it up, gees, what did someone die? It's like a funeral in here! HAH! The jokes are funny folks, its just my rotting corpse that stinks! HAH! I'll be here all night, seriously I'll be here all night!"

Burfica said...

lmaooooooooooo at the bottoms up funeral. That sounds like my family. Are you sure we aren't related??? hehehehehee

Marti said...

LOL! Great post!

I used to work at a funeral home, and we sold jewelry for "cremains" which I thought was uber-creepy LOL

I like the tape recorder idea!

Best wishes for a lovely St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow!

Jay Noel said...

I met Peter Tomarken when I was in college.

There used to be this show called "True Stories of the Highway Patrol" which recreated crimes and how the police would catch the bad guys.

The show was coming to our college town to recreate two crimes from the early 90s, and they used people from our fraternity and a sorority as actors.

It was a pretty strange two days. The production crew fed us pizza, and I got to be an extra at a tough bar wearing a rag on my head.

Peter Tomarken had gotten a voice mail from Melanie Griffith, and he played her message for all of us. She sounded so incredibly stupid and high.

How sad that he died in an airplane crash...that's terrible.

Anonymous said...

is back!

and laughing my arse off! ever read the grisham novel 'the partner'?

the main character uses the body of an old lonely friend that died naturally to fake his own death in a horrific car accident - so he could run away with the big bucks in his firm.

now aint that cool!

Unknown said...

Gotta say I love the idea of #8.

When I told The Antidote (my husband that is) that I wanted my body donated to science, he commented that I would have pickled my remains to such a degree at that point that I may as well be buried because it would require less work by the embalmer.

Nice.

No, he didn't really say that, but it's probably true. I do love Gin. :-)

Debbie Cakes said...

Rocky,

The Rockette is lucky she's got such a broad range of sick and twisted ways to do away with your corpse.
These are some of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. I'm sick of these oh, so predictable "arrangements" of wakes and funerals where everybody crys and hearing the same old eulogy. Why not go out with a bang, man?

I'm going to get to work on my own last wishes right away, just in case I'm not around to do it tommorrow.

Meg said...

All of them great, but I've always said I wanted the "Weekend At Bernie's" send-off. But I would prefer it to be from the 2nd one where a voodoo spell is placed on me that causes me to dance everytime music plays.

Who knows? We could cross paths while being dragged around by terrified friends!

JohnB said...

Going "Poltergiest" would be loads of sadistic fun...taking eternal control over the TV set in some ditzy sorority house setting it permenantly to Star Trek reruns a delicious afterlife indeed...

Haddock said...

#8 - At least somebody would have somewhere to park their bike :)

Amy said...

Imagine falling on hard times and pawning that lovely yellow diamond full of your loved-one's ashes... "HEY! No way... my husband is worth more than $75 stinkin' bucks!"

StringMan said...

Well Rocky, death sure becomes you. All are home-run funny.

Rocky said...

KIP - Hey, I like that idea of your Dad's. Very inventive way to spread the ashes!

FUZZ - I would be honored for you to be a special guest at my funeral, only if you promise to challenge someone to a gunfight at high noon.
The space flight funeral is a great idea.

AMULET - Yes, the KISS coffin! Is there a coffin designed after each band member? That Ace Frehley model probably shoots rockets.
Ha! the extra groupies would be a bonus, but The Rockette would whoop all their asses.

WATCHER - Glad you enjoyed the post. The Bottoms Up funeral does seem to be a popular choice. Good idea on the fire extinguisher.

SPAMMY - Haha, your comedy routine is killing me! Very funny. Just make sure you drag my dead ass around the Bahamas for a weekend before going forward with your comedy funeral idea.

BURFICA - We could be related. If we died on the same day, perhaps we could have a Double Trouble Bottom's Up funeral. Two asses for the masses to look at. I like it!

Rocky said...

MARTI - Wow, you worked at a funeral home. Did you ever have such requests for funerals? The jewelry idea is out there, but do you know how friggin' huge The Rockette's ring would be? It would be like a baseball on her finger.

PHOENIX - You got to meet Peter Tomarken! He was a fun host. I am actually watching some of the Game Show Network's tribute to him today, with a marathon of Press Your Luck.
The Melanie Griffth tidbit was very good.

AKA FATTY - Yes! Welcome back! Someone would be more than welcome to use my body to fake their own death, but just keep in mind I'm over 6-foot-3 and 335 pounds.
Also, anyone faking their death using my corpse should make it a really spectacular accident. Like drop a flaming piano from a skyscraper and have it crush and burn my body. Don't forget the dental records thing - better have someone pull out my teeth first and replace them with piano keys.

CURARE Z - Very impressive on the pre-pickling. I believe I have done the same with my liver. I could donate that organ to a high school science class. They'd have much more fun with that than those boring frogs.

RANEA - Aha, a throw rug. Very nice idea, and it turns into a practical item. You could also turn your home into a Bigfoot museum of sorts.

KURVES - Oooh, I had not thought of a video. Yes, that is a must. You will get a copy. I have to get cracking on that paperwork!

Rocky said...

DEBBIECAKES - I agree. There needs to be many choices on how to have a good funeral. I just tried to think outside the pine box (well, except for #5).
I'd rather have people whooping it up because when I'm looking down (well, I guess I could be looking up, too) on this ceremony, I want to see people have fun and remember the good times. I'd even allow my corpse to be put in a dunk tank with pre-recorded heckles to draw more people to the event.

MEG - The Weekend at Bernie's thing would be fun. If we crossed paths, we must inform our friends dragging our dead asses around to let us dance for one number before resuming their missions.

JOHNB - I agree. I like your taking over control of the TV idea. Torturing people with TV choices they despise would be a riot.
The control of the TV thing would be fitting for me because at times I fall asleep with the remote control in my hand, and sometimes The Rockette has to use the Jaws of Life to remove it.

HADDOCK - Great point! My cheeks would be a sturdy bike rack. You are brilliant, because this way, the skidmarks in my underwear could be blamed on the bike.

BAD GIRL - I love making you laugh. I know that Dan Diamond would be a stunning gem.
There'd be so much of me, maybe The Rockette could give you a pair of Rocky earrings or something :-D

AMY - Haha! Pawning the cremation gem, that is funny! Even in a pawn shop, I would hope my big-ass pimp ring would score at least a few Benjamins.

STRINGMAN - You are too kind. I figure I've been trying to live life to its fullest, so why not have the same gameplan for death.

Ladybug Crossing said...

This post is hysterical!! You have quite a sense of humor and it's just the way I like it - a little off center!! My favorite is the poltergeist one!! I just love that!!
LadyBug

PS - it is important to have a plan - organ donation etc., a DNR if you want one, and a will...

The Radical Notion said...

You do know that your former boss can now kill you, right? He can kill you and get off scott free cause you posted that. Nobody would believe he actually did it and it wasn't just someone playing out your last wishes.

Rocky said...

LADYBUG - What can I say, great minds think alike. Glad you share my love of the off-center humor.

BAD GIRL - As long as the earrings are securely fastened. Don't send me up with the backs off or anything crazy like that.

T - If it ever came to that, I'd just make sure to take him with me ;-)