Monday, April 10, 2006

Welcome to Dumpsville

I have always prided myself in being able to turn crappy situations into positive ones. I was really put to the test with The Rockette a few years back.

I had booked a fantastic two-room suite at a well-known hotel chain as a surprise for The Rockette. At first glance, the suite looked pretty sweet. But things quickly went down the toilet when she went to use the bathroom minutes after arriving.

"Oh. My. God," The Rockette said in a trembling fearful voice. It was a much more frightened tone than the "there's a huge spider in here" voice. This was more like "there's a serial killer in the bathtub" kind of scared. She then let out a shriek. I ran in to help, only to discover a sight far more sinister than I could have ever imagined.

"I lifted up the toilet lid, but instead of a sanitation strip across the seat, I saw that stretched across the water," The Rockette said, pointing to a huge dump in the stool. "It looked like a tree limb. It was so awful I just screamed."

This thing was humongous. Whoever gave birth to that monstrosity must have had a midwife in the bathroom with him to have hot water and towels ready. There's no way the mystery crapper got that brute out without using Lamaze. Afterwards, he probably wished he would have had it removed via emergency C-section.

I called the front desk clerk and told her the situation. She was very unsympathetic to my poop plight.

"I think you need to fix this," I said. "I don't get it. Even Motel 6 leaves the light on for you. This place is higher up the hotel food chain. I'd figure you would at least flush."

The maintenance guy arrived seconds later, plunger in hand. He cheerfully said "I heard you have a problem with your toilet."

"It's not our problem," I assured him. "But whoever was in this room before us has bowel problems of apocalyptic proportions. It's like a chunk of telephone pole. I'm afraid to flush it."

The maintenance guy took a gander in the stool and laughed. He was about to flush it, but I pushed his hand aside. It didn't seem right that he be the hotel's only eye witness. We already had some shit, so why not stir it up a bit? I called the front desk again.

"I'm an easy-going guy and can put up with a lot of crap," I told her. "But this is real crap. And there's a lot of it. If we have to look at this log, I think you should, too."

I didn't stop there. Besides the front desk clerk, I also insisted the maid who cleaned the room, the head housekeeper, and the manager all take a peek at the poop. I also suggested a call be placed to Guiness World Records to record this moment in history.

Two maids were next to arrive at the crime scene. After seeing the fecal annaconda, one maid glared at me and said "Well, I'm not touching it."

"Well, I'm not asking you to be a sewer snake handler, I'm just asking you to clean it up," I said. "I'm sure as hell not going to do it. And here's a pointer: Just because the lid is down, it does not mean the toilet is clean."

The maintenance guy was a big fan of bathroom humor. He kept snickering and giving the maids a hard time which one of them was going to "fish it out."

"If you fish a whopper that big out of water, you would normally hang it on your wall," I said. "But that's bigger than a fish. That shit is like a ship. It probably has a proper name and was christened before making its maiden voyage to bottom of the untidy bowl."

At this point, The Rockette had to leave the room because she was about to burst into laughter. I continued making comparisons to the turd's size, such as Babe Ruth's bat and King Tut's mummified femur. Only the maintenance guy was amused.

The head housekeeper was next to enter the bathroom. He immediately turned into Matlock. He knew better not to demand I bend over for dingleberry DNA analysis. Instead, after looking at the log and asking no questions, he announced to the room that the culprit who did it must have been the guests who were in the room before us because their plane was delayed and they were let back in the room after it was cleaned.

No shit, Sherlock!

"Well, I just can't believe there is no blood trail from the stool out the door, so we'll just have to assume the bad guy got away," I said. "What's important now is not who shit or how to clean it up, but how you will wipe this from our memory."

The maintenance guy took this as his cue to try and flush Nessie back to Loch Sewer. The Louisville Slugger struggled before finally disappearing. But the toilet became instantly plugged.

Then the manager arrived and asked to see the log. Without the real McCoy to look at, he asked for every gory detail. So naturally, I let him have it. When I was finished he knew the color, texture and how many kernels of corn were in it.

The manager offered two free drinks or a free breakfast for the "inconvenience," but he probably offered it so I would quit talking shit to him.

"Well, two drinks would be a start to forget that fancy fencepost," I said. "Breakfast would be good, but that's pretty much free already anyway. Dinner on you would be a great gesture for us to move past that first impression your hotel gave us."

The manager bristled slightly, but quickly agreed to the deal, which ended up having a cash value of $59.

That night, The Rockette and I sat in a dimly lit dining room enjoying steak and shrimp dinners. We clinked our wine glasses together. An older couple sitting near us looked over admiringly until they heard my toast.

"Here's to $59 shits."

26 comments:

:P fuzzbox said...

That is some just plain funny shit. Y'all shoulda put a fin on it before you called the maids that way the could fish for toilet sharks.

First commenter, Where's my prize?

Jay Noel said...

dingleberry DNA analysis? I wonder if they sell home-kits for those.

Great story. Whomever gave birth to that giant log is probably in the hospital getting his anus stitched up.

I'm not making this up. My word verification:

IBSsqfyb

Honey Bunny said...

excellent story!

On My Watch said...

wow - did you tell them that when you asked for kingsized/non-smoking, that you weren't talking about shit!?

that's quite the room with a 'pew'!

ella m. said...

I would've thrown enough of a (impending bad pun alert) shit fit that they would have not only bought my dinner, but given me a staff member to act as my personal toilet inspector and prevent any more bobbing log sightings.

You and the Mrs. are far nicer than I.

Burfica said...

I'm amused and grossed out. hehehehe

I can't believe they weren't way way embarrased and trying to make it all better.

I complained to a motel about their maid and their front desk person and said I would never stay there again, and they refunded my entire room, and gave me a coupon for another free stay. hehehehehe

Gotta get that complainer working right.

Jeremy said...

Sounds like the perpetrator was so proud that he wanted others to see what he (or she!) had accomplished.

Rocky said...

FUZZ - Great idea on the fins. We could have also attached a laser on it to shoot at the maids while they went toilet shark hunting. Oh, and a prize with a post like this would probably be a roll of toilet paper or a toilet brush.

PHOENIX - Ha! The word verification was very fitting, unlike the log. You're probably right on the stitches.

RANEA - The look on the manager's face was pretty priceless as I am giving him a description of the crap. If a police sketch artist had overheard it, he would have been able to create a wonderful drawing of the turd.

HONEYBUNNY - Thank you for reading and commenting!

WATCHER - Haha, that's great. Loved the punny comments :-) Luckily for The Rockette and I, only our eyesight was attacked. Our noses were miraculously spared.

ELLA - It would have been fun to see your shit fit. The Rockette had to leave the room because she said it was as if I was enjoying being a twisted museum curator, showing off the toilet treasure. She could not believe I made a half dozen hotel employees look at it.

BURFICA - I think it was one of those moments where it was so uncomfortable a situation for them, they really were spinning their wheels and did not know what to say. Meanwhile, I was just having fun talking shit and rubbing their faces in it.

TJOINT - You are probably right. Whoever pinched that monster french loaf would be proud that his lovely log stirred up so much shit later on.

AKA FATTY - Every once in a while, my sense of humor goes down the toilet. You are right on, that was a shitload of crap.

BAD GIRL - Very true. I wonder if the phantom pooper would be proud or disappointed that his sinking of the Titanic turd netted $59.

Meg said...

Aaaagh! I would have just died! That's so gross.

The only comparable story I can come up with is one time my husband and I stayed in Dallas for a weekend. I went to take a shower first thing after our long drive there and discovered pubic hair in our tub. Now I'm not talking just a few strays, either. It looked like someone took a weed-whacker to their crotch and left the mulch in the tub. You can bet that I raised hell over that one!

Debbie Cakes said...

That's a tough situation. It's almost worse than the "Big Boy" story by Sedaris. At least you had witnesses to back up your reports.

JohnB said...

I think you really made out $59 for your spontaneuos standup...er...I mean it's just as well since I don't blame anyone for not sitting down! Could you imagine if that "guest" had waited until he got on the airplane???

The Radical Notion said...

When I worked at a grocery store, someone left a similar dump. I went and got one of the grocery baggers and made him look at it to confirm I wasn't seeing things. I, too, thought that the person couldn't have walked away from this. crawling, maybe.... Bleeding and in tremendous pain? Probably. So, they had to get a plunger and break it up. Apparently this is a common occurance. How do people walk or sit down afterwards? More importantly, what the hell are they eating?

Rocky said...

MEG - Whoa, pube mulch! A weed whacker - ha! That is nasty. Was it $59 worth of pubes, or more?

DEBBIECAKES - "Big Boy" is a Sedaris classic. The Rockette wishes she hadn't eye-witnessed that monster dump.

JOHNB - Hey, I never thought of it that way, a comedy gig with a nasty prop at the hotel. Haha! If that person had waited to crap on the plane, an Air Marshall probably would have taken him out afterward.

T - That is the key. What the hell are they eating? I'm guessing carpet samples to push that fibre intake over the edge. The only loafs that should be on display at a grocery store is in the bread aisle.

David Amulet said...

An asstounding post--we had to wait for it ... but now I can see why you fell behind.

I especially enjoyed the phrase "fecal annaconda." In an amazing twist of irony, that was the name of my first rock/country/opera/jazz fusion band.

Perhaps this should be the gist that keep on giving. Digest the free steak and shrimp dinner, then leave its remnants for the NEXT guest. A nice cyclical thing, very Buddhist.

Bottoms up!

-- david

Crazy Dan said...

I don't know where to start talking about this great posts. One of the best EVER!. To be honest with you though you probably came in the after I left. Believe it or not but I try to always leave a "present" behind after I leave a hotel and I wonder how many times the maids left it. I always assumed they cleaned it up, but hopefully noone will do a digleberry DNA test on me. GREAT POST and sorry about that!

Ladybug Crossing said...

And I thought dingleberry was a term only we used at our house... hmm.... are you related??

LOL that was hysterical!!
Thanks for the laugh!
LBC

:P fuzzbox said...

I was wondering if anyone had found the c&w reference in your title. Guess not. Population me. I didn't know it until I did a little research on my Thursday post. Crazy huh.

Rocky said...

CURAREZ - I can't help but talk a little shit now and then :-) A digital camera could have really captured the moment, but I would have needed a wide-angle lense.

AMULET - Haha, that would be a great name for your fusion band. I wish I'd have thought of your cyclical idea. Then again, even though I'm a big guy, my dump would have been a twig compared to that log.

CRAZY DAN - Thanks for the compliments and confession. What I'd really like to see is you pinch a loaf that big in the hotel swimming pool. Watching people panic and flee the water would be like that scene in Jaws.

WICKED ROY - Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I guess I could view that dump as a work of art. Kind of like a sculpture.

LADYBUG - Dingleberry was/is one of my Dad's favorite words. He used it whenever possible. Maybe we are related somehow.

FUZZ - Ah, yes. It's amazing what country songwriters can crank out, both on paper and on the stool. Great post about those song titles, by the way.

StringMan said...

Whew! That was a hoot!

Motel 6 "We'll leave the light on for you."

Your Place: "We'll leave a log out for you."

Someone clearly ripped themselves a new one leaving that monster there.

Rocky, you are officially a Certified CrapMaster :) Bravo.

Alekx said...

Thankfully my house elf wasn't there he'd of wanted to put it in a mason jar and set it on a shelf.
He's just sick that way

warcrygirl said...

Dammit, I'm late again and all of the good poop-puns have been taken. There's a website, shit club I think it's called, and people submit pictures of their poo. And yes, you DO need a digital camera; just think of all the PhotoShop magic you could have performed!

You and the wife should have eaten Chinese for dinner, you could have ordered the pu-pu platter.

Haddock said...

This reminds me of a trip to Rio with some friends many years ago. Just beore checking out of the hotel one of my mates had a dump that when flushed made the toilet throw up its contents.....and then some. We vacated the room and checked out pretty damn quick! :)

Jen said...

lol...

Marti said...

Oh my stars, I am laughing so hard I may dirty myself - but not anything like what you encountered - LOL!

Thanks for an awesome laugh!

I’m still fighting WordPress at the new blog, but decided I needed to swing by blogroll buddies and say howdy!

Hope you have a terrific weekend - the weather in the KC area is spectacular!
Hugs,
Marti

Rocky said...

STRINGMAN - They certainly did leave a log. I'm sure whoever was the culprit is still in pain when they sit down.

ALEKX - Oooh, a mason jar display. Haha, that's sick and I love it!

WARCRY - Wow, that sounds like quite a website. This guy probably would have needed an hour for the computer to upload a picture of that wide load. Ahhh, the pu-pu platter, very nice!

HADDOCK - Blame it on Rio! Wow, there's nothing worse than the toilet eruption.

JEN - Thank you for stopping by! I am honored to have made you laugh.

MARTI - Always a pleasure to make you laugh. Thanks for saying hi. Glad you are having nice weather in KC. It's still brisk here, but I like that.

Sudiegirl said...

My god...I miss a few months, and you're writing about giant pieces of poo. I'm surprised it didn't stand up and say, "Hi De Ho!"

Eewwwww...but I'm glad you profited. That had to be nasty, going to a fancy hotel and finding a big ol' floater in your stool before you even got a chance to use it.

Take some metamucil just in case...

Sudiegirl