Sunday, April 23, 2006

Worry wart

It's too bad wart removers aren't effective on the worrying kind. It would have been nice to rub out Mom's worries and give her some peace of mind when I was growing up.

Mom's excessive worrying usually kicked into high gear when plans were made to leave the house. Even for a short trip away to go out to dinner, Mom paced around the house checking everything. She canvassed the house from top to bottom as if she was an OSHA inspector looking for a safety violation.

About 60 minutes later, we'd get the all clear and would be finally free to flee the premises. But we wouldn't get far in the car before the worry wart in Mom flared up again.

"Did we remember to shut the garage door?" she would announce about a block away from the house. "I don't remember seeing the door go all the way back down. It didn't go back up, did it? Sometimes it does that, you know."
Someone in the car should have convinced Mom they watched the garage door touch down on the edge of the driveway and stay shut. But that would have been too easy. Instead, Dad would fuel the fire with his big mouth.

"I didn't shut it this time," he'd say. "I thought I'd leave it open for some spring cleaning. Hopefully the thieves take all the shit I don't want anymore."

This would trigger a new wave of new worries.

"I think I screwed a 75-watt bulb into a lamp that only required a 60-watter," Mom would say. "We better turn around so I can swap them out. We don't need a fire starting."

Dad would shoot that down, too, saying he'd rather take the chance that the house might go up in flames rather than turn around in rush-hour traffic to check on something that was fine to begin with. The really funny thing about this was the "rush hour" he was talking about was in Bismarck, North Dakota, where traffic was seldom more than six cars (or tractors) on the road at the same time.

"I hope I didn't leave any windows open - what if it rains?" Mom would reply. "Did I close and lock the door?"

"No, you left the door propped open with a chair and hung a huge banner above it announcing 'We're out for a few hours. Feel free to loot or just make yourself at home,'" Dad replied.

We all shared a laugh about this because we would all watch Mom make her rounds around the house, checking every door - even the ones to the closets - to make sure they were locked and secure. She also checked all 22 windows. Before she left, she pulled on the front door three or four times to make sure it was locked, then unlocked it, opened it and shut it again, then repeated the re-check process. That house was more secure than Fort Knox.

The only good thing about finally arriving at the restaurant was it would get her mind off of the house. But as we walked into the restaurant, suddenly her worries were focused on something in the parking lot.

"Did we turn off the car's headlights?" she'd ask. "What about the dome light? That could drain the battery. Has the oil been changed recently? Have the tires been rotated?"

Instead of taking 20 minutes to review recent service records he has stuffed in the glove box, Dad would get sarcastic about the car's security.

"I think I might have left the car running with the doors open and a big sign under the windshield wiper that says 'Free car.' We might have to take a cab or a bus home," he said.

Just as I start digging into my burger and french fries, Mom pointed in horror toward my plate. Among my pile of fries, she spotted one that was darker in color than the others.

"Don't eat that!" she'd freak. "It's all brown. Something must be wrong with it. If you eat that, you might die. Or at least be very ill, more than likely winding up in the hospital."

At this point, Dad would snatch the oddball fry off of my plate, inspect it for a few seconds, and then pop it into his mouth. This action would cause Mom to buckle in the booth, nearly fainting from the thought of the consumption of such a skanky potato.

"Oh, Ma, it's nothing," he'd chuckle. "Just a little overcooked. The worst it could do is give me the runs."

As we walked back to the car, Mom would remove her leftovers from the doggie bag to use the paper pouch to hyperventilate into. The car was fine, but what about the house?

When we arrived back at home, Mom would see her house unscathed, so now her only worry was Dad's health. She'd lie in bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering if her husband would make it through the night with that brown french fry slowly being digested, poisoning his body.

When a day or two passed, along with the brown french fry, Mom would finally let out a big sigh of relief. It was as if she had just been brainwashed by Bobby McFerrin. And without a worry in the world, what better way to celebrate than to go out for dinner?

Uh-oh... here we go again!

24 comments:

JohnB said...

OMG! Is she still alive (mine still is)? Sarcasm like beer, are truly gifts from above. This one brought tears, man I was dying.

Burfica said...

Can anybody say obsesive compulsive??? hehehehehehe

Mom's are nuts. Oh wait, I'm a mom, scratch that. Your mom is nuts. hehehehehe

Only thing I worry about is if I left the coffee pot on. The dogs will eat whoever wants to steal anything.

David Amulet said...

I worry about you, Rocky. Are you still dealing with the trauma? Does it inhibit your writing? Did you forget to mail the check to your therapist?

-- david

Phred said...

Moms are like that...we just have to deal with it.
You do make it phunny though.

Anonymous said...

OOOhh! That reminds me, I think I left the oven on!

Alekx said...

Crap now I have to turn around and make sure the doors are locked and the garage door went all the way down
~~sigh~~ and I was getting so much better too

:P fuzzbox said...

I would check the wattage on my bulbs but I like to live dangerously.

Jay Noel said...

Sounds like a mix of pure Mommy-worry with some OCD. That's not a good combination. What I did with my own moth...

Oh crap, I left the stove on...

Jeremy said...

Amen to all of that. My mom was not only a freak about that kind of stuff, but throw in cleanliness and the constant need to be 1/2 hour early for everything. Oy. I guess that's why I'm always late for everything and could care less about cleaning.

Ladybug Crossing said...

If she didn't worry, what would you write about? She makes some great blog fodder... :-)
LBC

Rocky said...

JOHNB - My Mom is still alive, she hasn't worried herself to death yet. Actually, she's been able to relax a bit more as she's gotten older. Glad you enjoyed the sarcasm.

BURFICA - Thankfully, we never had a coffee pot. Yes, Mom had a little OCD going on, but it has gotten better, especially since my Dad retired.

AMULET - Haha, I still at times relive the trauma but find writing about it to be good therapy as I'm too stubborn to see a therapist.

PHRED - True, it is a Mom's job to worry. Glad you found the story phunny.

SPAMMY - I hope there wasn't a cake in there!

RANEA - Oh, I don't wear underwear when I write... heehee, probably scared you with that one.

ALEKX - Haha, I actually also make sure our garage door goes all the way down. It actually went back up a couple of times in the 4 years we've lived here. Of course, now that we "watch" it, it hasn't done it.

FUZZ - I admire your ability to live on the edge. I used to be totally psycho and put a 100 watt bulb in place of the 25-watter in my sister's Lite Brite.

PHOENIX - Ha! It can be contagious to a certain degree.

ANELIZE - She still frets about brown french fries. And Dad still eats them.

TJOINT - Ah, your Mom was a clean freak? My Mom washed her hands like a surgeon preparing for open-heart surgery. She lathered up to her shoulder blades. That's interesting how you rebelled in the two areas.

LADYBUG - That's so true. She is great blog fodder and an incredibly good sport about it all. I guess I broke them in with the newspaper I wrote about them as a kid.

On My Watch said...

funny as always! I needed a valium just reading this post. ;)

Crazy Dan said...

Mom used to do the same things and we would freak her out about the things we forgot to do so she would end up driving back to the house. Of course dear old dad caught on to what we were doing and whipped our ass raw but it was always worth it.

Meg said...

This reminds me of the night routine my Dad did while I was growing up (and I'm sure he still does). Before bed, he would check all the windows, followed by opening all the doors and looking outside. Upon inspection of the outdoors, he would lock the door, shut it and then pull on it 3 or 4 times. Finally content, he would turn off each light in a certain pattern he had set in his head. Strange man.

Anonymous said...

My father was the one that did that when we were growing up, especially on the mornings we would leave for our yearly vacation. We used to joke that he'd make someone a good wife someday...

Unknown said...

I have to admit, I'm mildly like your mom...and so is The Antidote. We'll lay in bed: "Did you lock the door? I didn't lock the door. Go check and see if the door is locked."

And if we stay in a hotel we tear it up to ensure that we didn't leave ANY evidence behind. ;-)

So, I relate to moms. As for that brown fry...you're lucky your dad saved you from that!!!

The Radical Notion said...

I'm a ashamed to say that I'm a bit like your mother. I do worry about fires starting and leaving doors unlocked and all of that. Is this what my kids will blog about when they're your age?!

warcrygirl said...

Good god, your mom sounds like my grandma. My sarcasm got to come out whenever she'd say something stupid. For instance, I had flown from the East Coast to San Diego; once I landed and got settled in I called her to let her know I had arrived safely. She asked "Oh, did you get there in once piece?" "No, Grandma; the plane crashed and we all died. I'm calling you from Hell".

I'm the opposite of your mom, I've gotten up in the morning only to realize I left the back door wide open all night. Oopsie!

StringMan said...

Forget Lucy and Ricky - your Mom and Dad should have had their own sitcom. The Worry Wart and the Frog. His "rivets" were a hoot, too. Great story Rocky.

Debbie Cakes said...

I'm also cursed with a bit of the genetic OCD. I really have to distract myself, I was much worse when I was a teenager.

And when I came upon a french fry with a greenish tint to it (as in it wasn't a quite ripe potato) I asked Mom why it was green. She told a frog sat on it.

Marti said...

Happy May Day!

:P fuzzbox said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo Rocky. Hope all is going well.

Anonymous said...

i'm underworried. I just don't worry enough... meh, i think there's an assignment i have to do to pass school - can't really remember. There's someone in my blind spot? he'll stop for me... just indicate i suppose.

the down side is i've known to have spot panic attacks in the middle of the night. When the pressure builds up and i feel under-prepared. But the doesnt happen often =P

Rocky said...

WATCHER - As always, you are too kind!

CRAZY DAN - This sounds similar to my house except Dad was in on the tormenting.

MEG - Sounds like your Dad and my Mom are from the same mold.

BRUCE - Ha, that's a good one! Thanks for commenting.

CURARE Z - My Mom would also turn a hotel room upside down before leaving. Yes, Dad saved me from countless brown fries and potato chips, but peeled about 10 years of Mom's life by eating them all himself.

T - Your kids may very well blog about it. But my Mom is a terrific sport about it all. She just laughs it all off.

WARCRY - Hysterical! Loved the crash call from hell comment. It is equally amusing that you discover your door open the next morning. You are indeed the Bizarro version of my Mom.

BAD GIRL - It's always my pleasure to bring on the tears of laughter.

STRINGMAN - Yes, they could have been a great TV comedy team. Thanks for the kudos.

DEBBIECAKES - Oooh, I'll have to remember that the next time I see a green fry so I can tell Mom before Dad eats it.

MARTI - Thank you for the holiday wishes :-)

FUZZ - Back at ya, Fuzz. All is well. Work just borrowed my brain and all my creativity for a couple of weeks. I'm back with a vengeance.

FATTY - I am a little of both. I worry a little, but not near the levels of my Mom. On the other hand, I am pretty laid back and carefree most of the time. I guess it must be the Gemini in me.