Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Take It Like A Manilow

Sometimes fights are so hyped-up, they earn a nickname like The Thrilla in Manilla or The Rumble in the Jungle.

It's a shame Howard Cosell and Muhammad Ali never got a chance to witness The Harm on the Farm. That was the 13-hour bout between my sister Bubbles and I while the referees - our parents - were out of town.

It was 1979. My family lived on a small hobby farm in the Blue Ridge Mountain area of Virginia. They say Virginia is for lovers. Bubbles didn't get the memo on this. She was a fighter.

Granted, half the time I probably deserved to have my ass handed to me. I did enjoy picking on her. But the other half of the time was usually fallout from an argument of taste in entertainment.

Take music. I liked KISS. Bubbles adored Barry Manilow.

The folks were out of town and had left us alone to take care of ourselves. Bubbles was only 14 at the time, and I was 9. Normally, they would have gotten a sitter for us, but Bubbles and I talked Mom and Dad into leaving us alone after we had to fend for ourselves anyway during the previous horseshit sitter's stint.

Mom and Dad hadn't even backed out of the driveway when the race started to their bitchin' console stereo. It was a mammoth GE model with a flip-top lid, revealing the Hi-Fi AM-FM radio, turntable and a great 8-track deck.

Mom, a hip white chick, loved cranking The Commodores on it. I didn't mind Lionel Ritchie, but his music didn't make me want to dance on the ceiling. But I did not under any circumstances need to hear Manilow on a louder level.

Bubbles' bedroom was next to mine and all I heard for the previous 14 months from 9 at night until 5 in the morning was Barry Manilow over and over. She had a special turntable that would replay the same record repeatedly, the sound of which could not be smothered by any amount of pillows or blankets. Over time, I knew all the words to every song, but certainly not by choice. After hearing it 937 times, I was well aware who "wrote the songs of love and special things" and I hated that fucker for it.

With Mom and Dad out of the house, it was Bubbles' big chance to really crank "Copacabana." I tried to stop her, because I already knew about Lola and that music and passion were always the fashion and all that other bullshit. But Bubbles held me off with one hand while loading 2 or 3 Manilow albums on the stacking mechanism with the other. Once she had them in place, she sat on the stereo lid and cackled as "Can't Smile Without You" began to play.

I believe I became temporarily insane at this point. I actually tried to knock Bubbles off the stereo lid so I could turn down the volume. When that didn't work, I tried to unplug it. During the scuffle, I bumped the stereo hard enough that it scratched the album.

Needless to say, Bubbles cleaned my clock after this. She pummeled me mercilessly and left me in a blubbering heap on the 4-inch lime green shag carpet as Barry belted out "Looks Like We Made It."

Bubbles left the room to go watch TV in the den. Of course, she left the Manilow records playing to rub a little salt in my wounds, which included several scratches, a snake bite and multiple carpet burns. She figured I was down for the count for at least "Mandy" and "Even Now."

I must have laid on that shag canvas for a few hundred 10-counts. As each Barry song played, kiddie rage was building. By the time "This One's For You" started playing, I pulled myself to my hands and knees. I crawled towards the den, trying to conserve my energy for a counter-attack.

That's when I saw the sight that sent me over the edge. There Bubbles was, enjoying an episode of Knot's Landing. She had not only kicked my ass an hour ago, she now had control of the TV, too. To top it all off, she was sitting in Dad's recliner and was drinking the last Coke, which we had agreed to share earlier.

I did what any self-respecting little brother who had just gotten his ass kicked would have done. I totally sucker punched her. She didn't even see it coming.

I didn't wait to assess the damage. She was a jocky Tomboy at the time and quite a bit bigger than me. I got the hell out of there so A) she wouldn't kick my ass again; and B) so I didn't have to listen to Manilow sing "It's a Miracle."

I grabbed my canteen and a can of Pringles and headed outside. Seconds later, I heard some evil cackling behind me. I turned around and saw Bubbles waving as she turned the deadbolt on the door, locking me out of the house. That was OK. She had the "Bandstand Boogie" blaring and was dancing like those teeny boppers who dry humped Dick Clark every Saturday morning.

Fast forward about seven hours. I was hungry and tired, but she still had the door locked and wouldn't let me in. Four hours later - around 10 PM - it was getting dark and that little bag still hadn't unlocked the door. She taunted me by cranking "Daybreak." I figured she was probably sending me a message about the next time the door would be open.

Instead of begging her to let me in for the 1,000th time, I just started banging on the door. When my hands got tired, I grabbed my football helmet. While pounding on the door with that, I accidentally broke a small window pane in the door.

Bubbles unlocked it one second later and said "Geez, I was unlocking it." I tried to cover up the damage with the front of a Froot Loops box, but let's just say Mom and Dad "followed their nose" to the dinged door about 6 seconds after getting home the next day.

I got my butt whooped by Dad and was grounded for a month. Bubbles got a new Barry Manilow album for her sparkling behavior while the folks were away.

As I laid in bed that night listening to more Manilow from the next room, I finally started to get some inspiration from the music. I secretly wished I could spend a "Weekend in New England" to escape this hell on earth, or at minimum, I would have even settled to be "Somewhere Down the Road."

28 comments:

:P fuzzbox said...

I hope that there was no lasting trauma from the Manilowfest. That was truly an ordeal.

warcrygirl said...

Big sisters are EVIL (I should know, I am one) but that was just wrong on so many levels. Let's hope she has kids now who blast her most unfavorite tunes 24/7.

Unknown said...

I love these blasts from the past Rocky.

My sister and I are also 5 years apart...and used to act similiarly. Except she used to lock me in the basement (I was DEATHLY afraid of the boogeyman), not outside.

I bet you could kick her ass now if you wanted to. Not that you will, but it's just KNOWING that you can that gives you power. :-)

Burfica said...

Oh my gosh that is so fricken funny.

My sister (Alekx) and I had a fight for the record books. (she is 7 years older than me) I sat down in the recliner to start my homework, and she kept yelling at me to do it. I yelled I am, and turned on my walkman. She then yanked it off my ears, and threw it against the wall. I then took my 5 inch thick english book and slammed it into her chest as hard as I could. As she was doubled over, I ran for the back door, she ran out the front and around the house to catch me coming out the back. I then ran for the front door, ran out of it, and started running down the street. She didn't lock me out though, she got in her truck and started chasing me down the street, screaming she was gonna run my skinny ass over. Thank god my mother rounded the corner coming home from work right at that minute.
Yes, I got grounded, but I was alive.

Oh and on a side note, I Loved!!!!!!!!!! KISS I even ordered myself some KISS checks. Imagine the credit card company opening up the bill to see Gene Simmons spitting blood at them. hehehehee

On My Watch said...

Well, Rocky I'm so glad you Made it Through the Rain (of terror from your sister) - because you know, I just can't smile without you.

:)

Jay Noel said...

At least you weren't locked out of the house until "Daybreak."

"It's a Miracle" you didn't lose your "Sweet Life" during that brawl with your big sis.

I bet whenever you hear a Barry Manilow song, you get the feeling that you're "Home Again."

Kevin said...

I'm sure this post was therapeutic for you -- but it was downright traumatic for me. All the horrific repressed memories of MY older sister are now floating to the surface...

Amy said...

I'm going to have to go with Kevin on this one... I think I shall have to go lie down ... the horror... the horror....


amy

ella m. said...

Please tell me you took some creative revenge when she strted dating.....ugh that much manilow is cruel and unusual punishment.

Anonymous said...

Baby brother...That was pretty acccurate, but I should tell you, one of my favorite childhood memories was when I hung the Donna Summer poster in your bedroom.

Rocky said...

FUZZ - Years of music therapy has helped me forget most of the Manilow, however, my wife was watching American Idol last year and I think he was on and I almost fainted.

WARCRY - I actually bought her 5-year-old daughter a Karaoke machine that hooks up to the TV for hours of enjoyment. Phase 2 of my evil revenge plan includes teaching her new songs.

CURARE Z - Glad you are enjoying my the ghastly tales from my past :-) Oh, and now I am so much bigger than her one of my farts could knock her over.

BURFICA - Wow, that sounds like a drag em out battle with a truck involved even! Glad you survived to tell the tale. KISS was the shit. Ha, those checks sound great. I would imagine Ace's check is pretty nuts, too.

WATCHER - Ahhh, another tune my mind had shut down the painful memory of... I Made It Through The Rain. I knew I could count on you to stir up a few more songs. This was a painful post to write, but I felt Ready To Take a Chance Again.

PHOENIX - Indeed. I am lucky I wasn't locked out until Daybreak. She may have even pushed it until When October Goes.

KEVIN - You are right, this has helped me exorcise some Manilow demons. Sorry to scare up some on you.

AMY - Please, go lie down. Take a couple of aspirin and go listen to something like Ozzy Osbourne to get as far away from a Manilow mentality as possible. The horror will pass soon.

ELLA - I'm glad you asked. Yes, I think I got pretty even with Bubbles by the time high school rolled around. I'll work on a post to appear in the next couple of weeks to show just that.

RANEA - Here's the worst part. She named one of our dogs growing up Mandy. So, yeah, the scars run pretty deep.

"ANONYMOUS" BUBBLES - Yes, I just started talking about that "On the Radio" poster with my shrink. The Manilow audio assaults were horrific, but the sight of Donna Summer all draped over that Wurlitzer taped on the back of my door was like having a staredown with the sun. My eyes havn't been the same since.
Thanks for commenting - I know you've been lurking from the start and I had to bait you with something :-D

Enemy of the Republic said...

I've been lurking at your blog for a while, trying to think of a good comment. Still can't. But one of my students told me recently that I dressed like Barry Manilow and I responded: I don't care how many A papers you write. Your grade has been foreseen. And I even think the administration would have seen my dilemna. But he got an A anyway. Grrr. I'm tough.

KC said...

I guess I had a relatively tame childhood compared to yours. My sister didn't even like music so she never tortured me in that way. I guess maybe I was the torturer because I was a huge Elvis fan and would play his records (and sing along) all hours of the day and night. After a bit of that, she asked Mom and Dad to let her have her own room. Guess I wasn't a very good singer, because everyone loves Elvis. Right?

The Radical Notion said...

Wow. Never a dull moment during your childhood, huh? Barry Manilow sucks.

Meg said...

Oh that is hilarious! I could just picture the whole thing in my mind. I was the baby of the family, so I was always the one in your position. Except I was usually the one stealing my brother's Beach Boys records and blaring them in my room. This always resulted in a fight!

JohnB said...

This sounds so much like my own childhood, except I was the oldest who enjoyed the death metal and younger sisters with their prissy pop Paula Abdul and Madonna...I remember pushing them into their room and holding the doorknob still...there little hands would grapple with the door handle back anf forth to no avail...suffice to say it was good being the oldest (until Mom and Dad arrived home).

David Amulet said...

Here is the sad thing -- for similar reasons, I not only recognize every song you mention, but I could recite the lyrics in my sleep.

Please, somebody: Find therapy for Rocky and me. Our souls thank you.

- david

Unknown said...

I got your back BG:

"BUT I SENT YOU AWAY. OH, MANDY WELL, KISSED ME AND STOPPED ME FROM SHAKING, AND I NEED YOU TODAY. OH, MANDY!"

Debbie Cakes said...

How did you keep yourself from smashing up those records when she went off to watch the nighttime soaps? You could have scratched them, or even a nice wad of gum on the grooves would do the job of ruin them forever.
Oh Rocky, you still need to get revenge, it was Barry Manilow for god's sake!!!

Rocky said...

BAD GIRL - If I had a nickel for every time I was locked out of the house in my underwear, I'd have at least a dime by now. Some kids will do almost anything for money.
The Manilow torture is by far the worst.

ENEMY OF THE REPUBLIC - Thank you for lurking and now commenting ;-) Wow, that student must have been cruising his parents' record cabinet or something. Tell him he dresses like Slim Whitman or Jim Neighbors just for fun.

KC - See, I would have actually enjoyed hearing Elvis, especially a sibling belting out the tunes. What was your favorite Elvis song to sing? There are too many favorites for me to pick just one.

T - True, there never was a dull moment. And you are being kind with the Manilow comment.

MEG - I can understand swiping Beach Boys records. Bubbles had no albums I wanted to take. Her collection was mostly Manilow with a little Donna Summer, which I wouldn't have minded if I hadn't also heard the "On The Radio" album 682 times. Oh yeah, and that poster she hung up in my room just kind of messed me up.

JOHNB - Ha! The death metal vs. prissy pop sounds like fun. I wish I could have blasted Bubbles out of her room with KISS, but I had just a crappy kiddie record player at the time while Bubbles had a stereo. I think she had the speakers turned into the wall between our bedrooms.

AMULET - I feel for you. Maybe we need to start a support group to help other abused little brothers. We could call it Marred By Manilow.

BAD GIRL - Aaaahhhhhhh, my eyes! I'm having a flashback. This is an especially brutal way to pick on someone who suffers from PBMSD (Post Barry Manilow Stress Disorder).

CURARE Z - OK, that's it. I'm telling Mom when she gets home and I swear you and Bad Girl will have hell to pay. But they'll probably just give you another record so you can learn new songs to torment me with.

DEBBIECAKES - Oh, believe me, I would have loved to destroy those records. But deep down, I worried if I did that, Bubbles would write a sappy letter to Manilow and he would have come to our house in person to serinade her to sleep every night. That would be my worst nightmare, even worse than the falling into a volcano dream.

David Amulet said...

Bad Girl: Now I know how you got your name. Rocky and i are gonna have to subject you to hours of nonstop Air Supply if you keep up with this cruel taunting.

-- david

Anonymous said...

Gee, makes me glad I was raised as an only child LOL

“It’s a Miracle” you survived (groan LOL)

I haven’t been making it around my blogroll much lately, but trying to play catch up today. Hope you have a great weekend!

Rocky said...

BAD GIRL and CURARE Z - Don't worry, David. Perhaps we can up the ammo in our counter strike, and bombard the ladies with Zamfir, master of the pan flute. The commercials sounded like a sixth grader trying to be Dizzy Gillespie on his recorder.

If that doesn't work, we can form a two-pronged attack. You take 'em with Jim Neighbors on the left, I'll hit 'em with Slim Whitman on the right.

Jeremy said...

I grew up an only child, but then out of nowhere, when I was a teenager, I got another teenage step brother. Those are worst because you can't really fight them when they piss you off...

Unknown said...

I dunno guys....Zamfir may put me down for the count.

But I've got TONS fo Paula Abdul, Madonna, and Tiffany in my arsenal. Don't tempt me....

StringMan said...

I just can't believe you have a sister named Bubbles.

Her name was Bubbles
She loved her Barry
She played his music day and night
And got Rocky in a fight
She kicked his ass in
And laughed for hours
But Rocky really stole the show
with a sucker punch so low
He ran out like a mutt
The door was bolted shut
And when he finally broke the window
His Dad whooped his butt!

All at the Farmhouse
Bubbles and Rocky
Froot Loops and bashin'
were always in fashion
at the Farmhouse
Barry was King
(Farmhouse)
Barry was King
(Farmhouse)
Barry was King ...


Inspiring and funny story Rocky. Yes, you took it like a Manilow!

KC said...

So many Elvis songs to choose from! I love them all, but my favorites to belt out where "You're the Devil In Disguise" and "That's All Right, Mama". In fact, I have "That's All Right, Mama" as a true voice ringtone on my cell phone. When my son calls me, it plays. Love it!

Rocky said...

TJOINT - Wow, getting a teenage step brother as a teenager would be a bit of a curveball.

CURARE Z - Be afraid, be very afraid. Although I might start hallucinating and see cartoon cats if I hear too much Paula Abdul.

STRINGMAN - Bravo! That is one impressive tune. Sure to be a Top 10 hit. When you cut the album for this, please send me a copy.

KC - Nice choices. I'm pretty hooked on "It's Now or Never" and "Suspicious Minds."