Sunday, February 12, 2006

Buckle It or White-Knuckle It

I've been doing a lot of traveling over the last two months due to my new job. This story is going to get kind of crazy, so buckle up - it's going to be a wild ride. Keep your arms and legs safely inside this blog until you've finished reading.

I must say I'm a big fan of seatbelts. I never needed to be sold on the idea by some crash test dummies. They save lives, but for me, maybe it's because I have an easier time finding seatbelts that fit me than regular belts to hold my pants up. Maybe I just need to give up on clothing stores and start buying belts for my wardrobe at an auto parts store or junkyard.

Friend: "Where did you get that wicked belt?"

Me: "I got it out of a 1994 Ford Taurus from Mack's Auto Salvage. I actually have 4 different colors of this belt at home - pawnee tan, nimbus gray, portofino blue and medium seafoam!"


Anything that can keep my massive ass strapped in a seat in the event of a crash is just a modern marvel, really. I've always considered myself safe traveling thanks to seatbelts.

Except twice.

The first time wasn't even while traveling by normal means. It was at an amusement park.

Being a bigger dude, I usually avoid rides that look like they'd be too small to stuff my big butt in, or rides that look unsafe for a man half my size to ride. That being said, I must have been temporarily insane in February 2002.

That's when my wife (AKA The Rockette) and I met up with our great friends JudiBootie and her husband at Universal Studios in Orlando. The idea was to go on some rides, eat at some restaurants, have loads of fun and start swinging (Ha! Got you on the last one, didn't I?! Sorry, I'm a tease). We accomplished three of the four things previously mentioned, but on the last day of our two-day tour, a warning flag was waved.

The Rockette wanted to go on the Incredible Hulk roller coaster. I was game, but next to the sign that says "You must be this tall to ride" there were some seat examples that basically meant "If you can't fit your fat ass in these, don't get in line."

Well, I tried the seats, and it felt like I was trying to cram into a kid's booster seat at Perkins. There was no way my ass was going to squeeze into the slot, let alone wrap a seatbelt around the whole package. So The Rockette went on the ride with JudiBootie's husband while I bitched to JudiBootie how I "couldn't believe there wasn't a spot for a 300-pound plus dude on a roller coaster named after the Incredible Hulk." I exploded out of my shirts and pants on a daily basis, and I belonged on that ride dammit. But some coaster designer didn't want any real-life Hulks aboard this train.

Someone decided I needed to be consoled by going on the Doctor Doom Fear Fall ride. JudiBootie's husband told me the ride was basically backwards bungee jumping, where instead of falling down, you get shot up into the air. Then you got the added pleasure of plummeting back to earth. Oh, joy!

As we were waiting our turn to defy death, I wondered why the hell I was even standing in line. I have a fear of heights. So getting on a ride that basically catapults you straight up into the air, then lets you freefall back to Earth was already a heart attack waiting to happen. Then add a silly little thing like my seatbelt not staying clasped and, Houston, we have a huge fucking problem. But on the other hand, I was having so much fun with The Rockette, JudiBootie and her hubby I decided to stick it out and face my fear.

Now it was our turn, so I got in the seat and clasped my seatbelt. It was a tad tight, but seemed to do the trick. But just before the Carnie was doing his final safety check, my seatbelt popped open with a loud "ping" noise. I hadn't even moved, it just flew off for no reason other than failing to harness my huge ass in the seat.

I switched seats with JudiBootie's hubby, thinking the seatbelt was the problem. I grabbed the belt and buckled it. All systems were just about go again until that familiar "ping" noise. The damn belt busted loose again. The countdown was delayed so I could rebuckle, but the "ping" soon followed.

I started thinking it was time to abort the mission since I couldn't keep my seatbelt on. But this time, instead of stopping the countdown, the Carnie just said "Awwww, don't worry about it. That's just a secondary safety feature anyway." Then that 3-toothed bastard flipped the switch and sent my huge ass hurtling into space with my three fellow astronauts.

The only thing holding me into the seat was a metal bar that seemed about as sturdy as an old bicycle frame. I clutched onto that metal so hard that if they ever make a CSI:Orlando, I'm pretty sure they'd be able to find my fingerprints embedded in it. When we reached the highest point, I enjoyed the view of sunny Orlando for a split second. Then I heard a "ping" again, which was my seat belt slapping against the seat frame, a wonderful reminder that I wasn't buckled up. I closed my eyes and began to pray that I wouldn't hear a much louder ping of the primary safety feature giving way.

My prayers were answered and I reached the ground safely. But The Rockette and JudiBootie had to pry my fingers off of that frame. At that point, I had a new appreciation for seatbelts. I never wanted to go on a deathride like that again. To top it all off, the Doom Gift Shop sold hats and T shirts, but not new pairs of underwear for those of us who had just shit our pants.

Fast forward to last week, when I'm boarding a flight from Chicago's O'Hare to Minneapolis-St. Paul. I'm a big guy, but "luckily" my hugeness spills forward and not over the sides of my seat. That means my only challenge is to get the seatbelt clicked.

Most airline seatbelts fit me no problem. United's are by far the most roomy. Northwest, Delta and Southwest aren't bad either. I've had a few close calls with some of their seatbelts, but I'm usually always able to get them fastened by sucking in my gut, taking a deep breath or just pulling and praying until I hear the "click." Let me tell you, a "click" gives me a much safer feeling than a "ping" any day.

But on this American flight, my seatbelt was so small I couldn't even get the two sides closer than 6 inches apart. This mind boggled me because the dude across the aisle from me had to be 400 pounds plus and he had slack in his belt.

The flight attendant walked by and I said "excuse me, I'm having a hell of a time with this belt..."

She said, "OK, honey, I'll be right back."

The flight attendant did seem pretty busy. After all, it was a hectic time. She had to close the rest of the overhead bins, check luggage, do the safety schpeel, listen to 20 other requests, and get the beverages and snacks ready for after we're airborne. I didn't see her for a while, but knew she wouldn't leave me hanging like old Triple Tooth did in Orlando.

The next thing I knew, the plane was backing up and I still wasn't buckled in. The flight attendant zipped by chucking things to her left and right while chanting "sorry for the wait, honey," trying to fulfill all earlier requests as she dashed up the aisle to take her seat. As she blew by me, she handed me a pillow the size of a bag of marshmallows.

I tried to stop her and tell her I didn't think a tiny pillow was going to fix my issue. I needed a seatbelt extender or a rope. The least she could have done was shrink wrap me in the seat. But she just hauled ass to her place up front so, God forbid, she wasn't taking off without her seatbelt on.

At this point, I was yearning to stay on the ground, where ad slogans for seatbelt use preached "Click it or ticket." Maybe this airline's policy was "Ticket. Can't click it? Fuck it!"

It was too late now. I was going to have to rough it out. Standing up at this point and announcing there was a problem probably would have gotten me shot by an air marshall, who thought I was some deranged prick with explosive shoes. So I just hugged my pillow and awaited certain Doom.

As the plane roared down the runway, I had flashbacks to the Doctor Doom ride. Only this time there was no metal frame to hold on to. I couldn't grip the food tray because it had to be stowed in its upright position. I moved the pillow to my lap, hoping it would cushion my balls if we hit a pocket of turbulence that would send me flying into orbit.

A little over an hour later, it was over. Granted, I had almost lost my mind on that flight like William Shatner on that Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." But, like the Doom ride, I ended up safely on the ground after all despite that dangling seatbelt. I was, however, still as white as a sheet when The Rockette arrived in the airport's passenger pick-up area.

Rockette: "How was the flight?"

Me: "Let's put it this way... After the plane landed, I was so happy to be on the ground safe and sound that I didn't just want to kiss the ground. I almost fucked it."

23 comments:

:P fuzzbox said...

I think I would have had to bitchslap the three remaining teeth from that carny's head. Good to see you back safe and sound.

just me, bitches said...

Oooh, I'd forgotten about the Hulk. And it's such a great ride, too. I think TheRockette and Dan were literally wiping the tears from their eyes when they came out of there as we stood around in the rain, just slightly mopey. Didn't we spin them into sickness on another ride? Something like the teacups, but much more "deathly?"

But what Rocky neglected to tell you was that we both shit our shorts when we heard the "ping!" of the seatbelt pop.

I thought he'd surely be spotted on NASA's radar as he flailed his way through the lower atmosphere of Orlando and we'd be an international scandal.

But alas, we gently floated back down to terra firma, both of us leaving lovely brown trails behind us for the Carney (he couldn't have been more than 17, dude) to clean.

Best. Vacation. Ever.

StringMan said...

Rocky, that is a very, very, very funny - no, fucking funny - post. The Doctor Doom descriptions - including the three-toothed carney - were priceless. JudieBootie's comments added to the fun!

Rocky said...

FUZZ - Yes, Three Tooth deserved a bitch slap. I was twice as big as anyone on that ride, so I needed both safety devices!

JUDIBOOTIE - Yes, we did do the teacup-esque ride. I'll use driving gloves the next time I'm on one of those so we can get that wheel crankin' harder.

I'm flattered we shit our pants together that day. You are a true friend!

I agree. Three Tooth was young, but he did only have three teeth.

That vacation did rock.

STRING - Thank you for the compliments. And yes, JudiBootie added to anything makes the recipe far better!

The Radical Notion said...

LOL! I never ride on amusement park rides...EVER. There's something about hurtling myself through the air that sounds unappealing.

Great post!

Little Lamb said...

I swear by seat belts. They have saved my life many times.

Rocky said...

ANELIZE - I'm glad the story made you laugh. I can finally laugh about it now, 4 years later. I don't know what I was thinking getting on that ride. I just feel lucky to be alive right now.

RANEA - That's a good idea. I wish I'd have thought of it. Then we would have seen how comfortable Three Tooth really was with the secondary safety device feature failure.

T - The Doom ride definitely isn't my usual taste in rides. The teacups where you can kind of control your own madness is more my cup of tea. I'm OK with coasters, but even then, the heights freak me out.

LITTLE LAMB - Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy to hear seat belts have saved your life. I'm glad nothing happened on that ride or on that plane, or I'd be just a bad statistic right now.

Anonymous said...

Does your wife enjoy her gig at Radio City Music Hall? She is one of the Rockettes, No?

The Shatner reference and photograph - absolutely hilarious!

Jay Noel said...

If that primary safety restraint had failed, you would've gotten a first-hand lesson in Neuton's Laws of Motion...all three of them, but the first one concerning an object moving - that would be you.

Glad to know it was enough to keep you safe.

polly + dieter said...

yes, i've been to those places in orlando where you get routinely torutured on rides. the only thing worse than being scared out of your mind is when you get off the ride and on the way out you see photos that were taken of you with your mouth hanging open and your hands screaming in the air. it is so humiliating.

JohnB said...

Triple Tooth! That is too funny...you know those carnies are actually geniuses in disguise...I believe they go to a 'special' school.

Kevin said...

There's nothing scarier than going on a ride and not knowing what you're going to get. Sorta like the feeling a horny guy gets right before he nails Paris Hilton.

just me, bitches said...

What Rocky doesn't know is that I did contemplate how I was going to save his life once the restraint went "ping."

Then I realized, that regardless of the results, it would become a legendary story so I relaxed and enjoyed the view.

I endured torture the rest of the day on every water ride invented, so don't think I'm the meanest woman in the universe.

Yet.

On My Watch said...

I always wondered why the Hulk's pants only shredded up to his knees and nothing in his lower region got larger, must be the steroids. :)

If it were me, I would've heard many more pings (at least 3) after the ride was over as that worker's teeth hit the pavement.

Funny/scary story!

Marti said...

Years ago a friend and I rode one of those roller coasters that go upside down and the safety bar didn't latch securely. We ended up clinging to the underside of the chair with our fingers, and being grateful for centrifugal force holding us in on the upside down spirals!

Glad you made it!

Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!

Meg said...

So funny! I would have never been able to enjoy the ride or the flight...I like to be safely strapped in until I get where I'm going! Glad you survived so that you can bring us these tales.

Alekx said...

I took the house elf on the titan at 6 flags over Texas and when we got off he looks at me and says. Hunni...I was screaming like a little girl in a mens prision.
I'm not sure how he'd know how that sounded but I took it to mean he needed new underware as well.

Rocky said...

SPAMMY - Yes, The Rockette is famous for her high kicks. Figured you'd dig the Shatner stuff.

PHOENIX - Thanks for commenting! Yes, I am glad I didn't learn the Laws of Motion the hard way.

POLLY + DIETER - Yes, those photos are something, capturing the exact moment of terror. If they had taken a photo on the Doom ride, the look on my face would have been right out of one of those Imodium commercials on the reason why people take Immodium.

LINGO - I'd love to start swingin' with you. We can do it on the front porch. Or, if you prefer, we could do it in a nearby park. If we do it there, maybe you'd be up for some slidin', too?
I'm happy to have made you laugh. And maybe there is a market for a belt that gives the extra support of a shoulder strap.

JOHNB - I think Triple Tooth may have once worked at Disney World's Haunted Mansion as a hillbilly ghost. Then he lost his job to someone with two teeth. So he started scaring the hell out of folks at the Doom ride.

DK - I would love to swing with you. I've never swung before, so you'd have to show me the steps as I've only watched people swing on TV.

KEVIN - I agree. But Paris Hilton is probably a much more dangerous ride than being unbuckled in the Doom ride.

JUDIBOOTIE - I'm glad you thought about saving my life before enjoying the view.
Sorry you got so wet on the water rides. We really had no choice after the Doom ride. I had to wash my pants and underwear somehow!

WATCHER - Good point on the Hulk's pants. Maybe he got green and angry thinking about how his groin never grew larger like the rest of his body.
Yes, extra pings were in order for Three Tooth. Or strap him in the ride using only Scotch tape and then tell him "Don't worry, it should stick because it's magic tape."

MARTI - Wow, that's a crazy coaster story. I seriously would have died in a situation like that.
Glad you made it through your amusement park ordeal as well. Hope you had a sweet Valentine's Day.

MEG - Those two trips made me feel like a Kamikaze pilot. I thought there was a 100 percent chance of me crashing and/or burning. Luckily, I lived and only suffered major heart damage.

CT - The flight attendant was very cute. But she might need some additional safety training in the future, as pillows are difficult to use to resolve seatbelt issues unless you are one of the Olsen twins and need a little extra padding for a really loose seatbelt to fit.

ALEKX - Love that prison quote. In honor of their scary rides, maybe one of the six "flags" should be a pair of soiled underwear.

Jeremy said...

You have my respect for even going on that Dr. Doom ride. Every year I wait for KARE 11 to finally do a feature on someone at the state fair getting on that thing and then having it snap and fly into Sweet Martha's Cookies.

The worst idea for a ride is that one at Valley Fair where they strap you on a mat-type apparatus and then let you free fall swing like a pendulum.

David Amulet said...

Rocky: Great essay! I only hope that your Shatner-like experience stopped there ... and the Unfortunate Air Event did not lead to a massive kidney stone.

(Of course, if you hadn't heard about Shatner selling his huge kidney stone for charity, then that qualifies as the most seemingly random comment of 2006.)

-- david

just me, bitches said...

Marti: I love it! I surely would have plummeted to the ground long before the G-forces kicked in.

Had Rocky managed to look over while we were on the first ascent (when you pause over the city) I was hovering about 6 inches out of my seat before we dropped.

Next stop: Rocky taking on The Tower of Terror at MGM. Middle seat, back row. No restraint.

Mwahaha!!!!

Phred said...

I`m with T on this. Just something about hurling my body thru the air at breakneck speed by a piece of equiptment assembled and maintained by someone whose parents were probably cousins ... makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Rocky said...

TJOINT - I wish there had been a Sweet Martha's Cookie booth in Orlando. A 55-gallon drum of cookies could have been my secondary safety feature.
I know what you mean with that mat ride at ValleyFair. That doesn't look like a "Magic Carpet Ride" to me.

AMULET - Wow, I hadn't heard of Shatner selling his kidney stone. That is boldly selling what no man has sold before.
It makes me wonder what's next? Chekov sells his loose nose and ear hair? Sulu sells his toenail clippings?

JUDIBOOTIE - I also felt that split second of zero gravity and lifted slightly off of my seat... and that was when I shit my pants.
That Tower of Terror idea is an evil plan. That's probably where Triple Tooth works now.

PHRED - You are probably right that Triple Tooth's parents were cousins. In fact, I think they conceived Triple Tooth in The Tunnel of Love.