Saturday, July 29, 2006

Rock Hard

So Paris Hilton says she's going to give up sex for one year. Big deal. In my late 20s, I gave it up for 4.

Not by choice, but hey, I still gave it up. Unlike Paris, I hadn't walked away from a Hilton-esque sex life. There were no best-selling videotapes like One Night in Paris. Alas, the best I could have offered would have been Rocky Mountin' High available only on Beta.

I'm not surprised I had such a long dry spell. Maybe it was because Mom put me between a rock and a hard place when it came to sex education.

In fourth grade, I started to realize the girls in my class were losing their cooties. I also noticed that I was getting more frequent hard-ons, especially in the morning.

The latter was a bit concerning. The only time a body part had ever swelled up that big was when I broke my wrist. I had fallen off my bike and hit my nuts on the crossbar a few times, but would this make my ding dong swell up every day for 14 months? Something was not adding up here.

Dad was out of town, but I couldn't dick around until he got back home. I needed to know the answers to my questions immediately. Mom didn't have a penis, but she was swiftly thrown under a hot light for questioning. My theory that the hard-on served as a sort of "kick-stand" so boys wouldn't accidentally roll out of bed was shot down immediately by Mom.

She assured me morning wood was not a medical emergency, a safety feature for boys, or extra pee that had somehow lost its way. It was the foundation of baby-making.

"Wow, so the stork doesn't bring babies?" I asked.

"No, that's just a story we use until you're old enough to understand where they really come from," Mom chuckled, before rattling off a brief scientific explanation of the birds and the bees.

"So babies come from hard-ons?" I asked, still confused.

"Yes, but it's not that simple..." Mom said.

"What about a stork with a hard on?" I interrupted. "Then can he bring a baby?"

Mom pondered this one for a moment, but then admitted that as long as the stork had a stiffy, a baby would be sure to follow.

"That's how it all starts," Mom beamed. "First of all, before anything happens, the penis has to be hard."

"How hard?" I asked.

"Rock hard," Mom said. "It has to be rock hard or nothing works."

From that day forward, I thought if my penis didn't feel like a slab of granite, I would never become a father. This was instantly troubling. I wasn't impotent, and I'd had at least as many hard-ons as chicken pox to that point of my life. But not one had been "rock hard." I calmed myself by thinking that surely by the time I was 14 or 15, I would get these rock hard ons, and at that moment I was just too young.

When I was a freshman in high school, I still hadn't been rock hard. Sure, I had been close. I'd been as hard as a ridiculously overstarched shirt. I was a little concerned, but I figured I was a late bloomer. Maybe another wave of puberty would hit me and I would be rock hard in no time.

High school graduation came and went, but I still had not been rock hard. I had been as hard as Play-Doh that had been left out without the cap on the container, but still not quite rock hard. I had come a long way since the starched shirt days, though.

I was starting to feel a little insecure about my erections at this point. I was in my sexual prime, so it was hard almost 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at this point. But I couldn't honestly say it was rock hard. I worried that I might be at the peak of hardness. The closest I had gotten to rock hard was adobe. But my geology professor and everyone else knew that this wasn't really hard rock, it was just dried-up mud.

What was I going to do? I was 19 and still had not been rock hard. I wondered if I'd ever procreate.

A few years later, a girlfriend told me she was pregnant. I doubted it was mine from the start. After all, I had only been as hard as petrified wood at best when we had sex. For about a week we were sweating bullets, but it turned out she wasn't pregnant.

"Ha! See?!" I told her. "You're lucky I had not been rock hard or we'd be shopping for baby clothes right now!"

We broke up a couple of months later and then I went into that 4-year sexual drought, becoming a born-again virgin.

OK, I didn't give up getting frisky willingly for a pre-determined time like Paris Hilton claims she is going to do. I made a "deal" with myself I wouldn't have sex again until I met the woman I wanted to marry. I didn't think it would take 4 years to find The Rockette. No lovin' for 48 months was tough.

After that I was rock hard.

18 comments:

On My Watch said...

well, don't you just love a mr. happy ending. :)

fair warning: my sister has a beta machine that still works!

Ladybug Crossing said...

LOL!!! That's funny and sweet. I'm really glad you finally met the Rockette.
LBC

:P fuzzbox said...

Looks like you found her in the nick of time.

warcrygirl said...

I once gave up sex for a year because I was sick of men in general and the dating scene. I was also broke and couldn't afford to buy my own beer. I must be ahead of the game; Jr already knows about 'boy juice' thanks to a little heart to heart with Hubby.

I didn't know you were a romantic at...um, heart. Yeah, heart; that's it.

The Radical Notion said...

My, my. We are learning a lot about Rocky today, huh? LOL.

Hopefully since then you've learned the whole story behind how babies are made.

Maggie said...

I've learned this week that there's a big difference between what a woman thinks is "hard" and what a man thinks is "hard".

Sudiegirl said...

OK, man - you've officially inspired me for today's blog entry.

Kudos!

PS: I'm glad you had the four year drought before the storm of Mrs. Rockette...sounds like you appreciate her very much now!

Sudiegirl

Rocky said...

WATCHER - Thanks for the Beta warning. And here I thought I should concentrate more on destroying the large LaserDisc copies first!

LADYBUG - Thank you :-) Yes, I am very lucky to have met The Rockette.

FUZZ - Nick of time for sure. One more year, and I think I would have just said fuck it and started wearing a brown robe and flip flops and chanted a lot.

But I'm glad I didn't because a monk blog probably wouldn't have helped me make a lot of new friends.

WARCRY - LOL, boy juice. Glad your hubby has a way with words. I salute you for also having been a sexual drought survivor.

T - Yes, sometimes I do fling a little too much info out there, but it's all in the name of humor (or attempts at it).

And, yes, I do think I have the baby-making process figured out now. And I still tease my Mom about the "rock hard" comment.

MAGGIE - Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. And, yes, interpretation can be very different between the sexes.

SUDIE - Aw, shucks, so glad I could be an inspiration. It's so damn hot up here today I thought all I was good for was perspiration.

I checked it your blog and really enjoyed the discussion you had with your Mom about the Endless Love movie.

David Amulet said...

Of course, now we're all wondering what kind of rock. Are you hard as sedimentary rock? Metamorphic? Igneous? There's a big difference, after all ... but all of them are better than that Play-Do thing you had going on.

-- david

Jay Noel said...

What a great story. It brings tears to my eyes.

Rock on.

Unknown said...

I guess the Twisted Sister song, "I Wanna Rock" had all sorts of different connotations for you growing up....

Debbie Cakes said...

That so explains the name "Rocky".

CT said...

better to have a dry spell than bang a chick that turns out to be a stalker... lol... I had to learn the hard way...

Janet said...

So does that make Paris Hilton literally LIKE a virgin now?

Here on recommendation of David Amulet!:)

:P fuzzbox said...

I came across this site and thought of this post.

http://net-burst.net/singles/virginity.htm

Who would have thought?

Burfica said...

that's funny, all mom's seem to screw up their kids if they have the "talk" with them.

That's why I made Gigantor talk to kiddo. hehehehehe And he's still screwed up, but at least it wasn't me. hehehehe

Becky said...

Came over from Janet's site. I don't by Paris' proclamation any more than I believed Katie Holmes was a virgin when she met Tom Cruise.

Good story:)

Rocky said...

AMULET - I am like a Stalagmite when I am laying down on my back. If I suspend myself from the ceiling pointing downward I am more like a stalactite.

PHOENIX - I am honored to make you tear up a bit. Rock on, I will.

CURARE Z - Yes, it did have a special meaning in my heart, as did AC/DC's "For Those About To Rock We Salute You"

DEBBIECAKES - That is part of the nickname tale, but it's also due to my fondness for Rocky Road ice cream.

CT - She will not be ignored! I hope your pet rabbit is OK.

JANET - Thanks for stopping by! I think you are dead-on with the Madonna comparison.

FUZZ - Wow, that was an interesting link. And I thought being a born-again virgin could be done without surgery. And what about us guys? What is our procedure to become clean again?

BURF - Atta girl, make Dad give the speech.

BECKY - Hey, thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I agree on the Katie Holmes thing. I also think Tom Cruise is with her to try and hook up with James Van Der Beek.