Friday, June 30, 2006

Jailhouse Rocky, Part 1

I haven't posted in a while, but don't worry I haven't been in prison. Instead, I was sentenced to 30 days hard labor by my boss at work. It was our busiest time of year, and being a new inmate, I wasn't about to argue with the warden. I was "paroled" June 30 for good behavior.

Now, to repay my debt to society (a.k.a. my faithful and patient readers), I sentence myself to hard labor on this blog to win you back. I figured a fitting topic would be a three-part thriller about my time behind bars.


One of my relatives has this complex that her kids be "the first" to do just about anything. Maybe she's insecure that my Mom churned out the first and second grandchildren and has been on a payback mission ever since to make sure her family always finishes first in any other category she can think of.

Every time we see her, she points out all the blue ribbon accomplishments by her offspring as if we're in the livestock pen at the State Fair.

We'd have to listen to her cluck "Do you know Sparky has a paper route? He's the first grandchild to have a paper route - or a job for that matter!" and "We pierced Penelope's ears a second time. She's the first grandchild to have more than one piercing on each ear!"

Needless to say, this grew old incredibly fast. I think I may have been the first grandchild who felt like duct taping this woman's mouth shut and rolling her up in a throw rug, but I think I have about a dozen cousins who would argue that point.

When the rankings for normal behaviors were exhausted, it eventually regressed into weirder things like bragging about whose child was the first to have broken bones, mumps, or other ailments. I wanted to tell her I was the first grandchild to shit my pants, but my sister Bubbles held that honor.

You'd figure this behavior would diminish as we kids got older, but it didn't. It just carried over into adult situations like "Penelope is getting married next summer, isn't that something? She'll be the first grandchild to be married" or "Sparky just graduated from college, he's the first grandchild to do that you know!"

This was good news that we liked to hear, but the continued tack-ons about how they ranked first on the family tree in that subject was mind numbing. I wondered what first would spew out of her mouth next.

"Sparky was injured in a freak lawn mower accident last weekend," she'd sob before breaking into an enthusiastic smile. "But, hey, on the bright side, he's the first grandchild amputee!"

At a family reunion about 15 years ago, she had the floor running down the first-place statistics as usual. The only blue ribbon I cared about that night was the cold Pabst I was chugging by the bar. After hearing about 21 years worth of this bullshit, I decided it was time to throw some firsts back in her face to finally shut her up.

"Oh, yeah? Well, a month ago I was thrown in jail," I interrupted. "Isn't that something? Hey, I guess that makes me the first grandchild to get arrested!"

"You mean in Monopoly, right," she said, hands wringing, worried that her kids might have to settle for being the second, even in a slightly shameful event.

"No, I'm talking the real thing - 18 hours in the county jail," I bragged. "Heck, if I had been there just a bit longer, I probably could have had my own bitch. And that would have made me the first grandchild to have my own bitch, too!"

For the first time in two decades, this lady was speechless. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you I was the first grandchild to accomplish that feat.

But now I had everyone's attention at the reunion and had to come clean with my "criminal" escapades...

To be continued in Part 2

12 comments:

Unknown said...

OOOHHH!! I can't wait for the next installment. My mom's friends are just like that relative of yours. They are always comparing the kids to one another. I told my mom if I ever caught her participating in such ridiculous antics that I would be the first daughter to tell them all to f&*% off. She hasn't slipped yet -- to my knowledge.

KC said...

Glad you're back! I can't wait to read the next installment. Intriguing! You lead such a fascinating life.

Burfica said...

yeah I wanna hear what happened next. did she finally run off sobbing, that she wasn't the first at this. hehehehehe

Jay Noel said...

I heard on the West Coast, you can acquire a bitch in less that 15 hours.

David Amulet said...

A big welcome backy, Rocky.

I'm looking forward to the next installment. I want to see if you owned up to that bizarre livestock experimentation you did in college ...

-- david

On My Watch said...

yes, welcome back. you were missed! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story - - hope I'm the first one to read it. :)

CT said...

I bet deep down she was really proud but afraid to tell you bc your a criminal.. lol...

warcrygirl said...

I was wondering what had happened to you! Or...you could have been the first grandchild to be someone else's bitch.

I can't wait to hear part two!

JohnB said...

Excellent method to stifle that wreckless nepotism...I'm sure the Blue Ribbon just helped matters along!

It is good to have you back!

The Radical Notion said...

I hate it when people compare children like that. My brother in law does that with his nieces. He has three nieces--my two kids and his wife's niece. When he talks about his wife's niece, it's like she's the fucking miracle child. It's so annoying. We'll say that our daughter is walking or talking or whatever she's doing at the time and he's like "Oh, well, Margaret is learning Japanese" or something equally ridiculous for a three year old to do.

We now refer to her as Margaret the Wonderbaby since she's so friggin' special and all.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again! Loved the story - can't wait for the next part!

Rocky said...

CURARE Z - The kid comparing is tough to swallow. I just snapped, but my cousins liked it.

FUZZ - Haha, that's great. Yes, you can pick out a really nice one in 19 hours. If only I hadn't been bailed out so soon...

KC - Aw, shucks. My life has definitely been a wild ride. Glad you enjoy my goofy tales.

BURF - She didn't cry, but I honestly think she was bummed that I was the first grandchild arrested because all of the sudden it created a frenzy amongst the relatives and her kids weren't involved.

PHOENIX - Ha! Bummer I was stuck in the Midwest, when I could have had 3 hours with my new bitch out on the west coast. I appreciate the tip. Next time I get arrested, I'll try to be in California or maybe Vegas.

AMULET - Inspired by your comment, I'm starting a new travel slogan for North Dakota... What happens on the farm stays on the farm.

WATCHER - Thank you! I missed you, too. Sorry about the length of Part Two but there were so many details, I didn't want to cut much of it.

CT - My parents were proud because it shut her up for a while. I think she was pissed and was probably trying to talk her kids into comitting a federal crime so she could one-up my ass.

WARCRY - Sorry for my disappearing act. And true, I could have probably been someone else's bitch. There was plenty of bitch to go around.

JOHNB - Yes, the Blue Ribbon can lead one down a dangerous path. Didn't the Wizard give the Cowardley Lion a 12-pack of it to give him a little courage?

T - Your BIL sounds like he could be related to my relative. She had 3 wonderbabies. And she also referred to her husband's subordinates at his job as "her men." WTF?

MARTI - Thanks for checking back to read again. I'll try to post at least once a week again now. Maybe even twice if I can find a good cattle prod to zap myself with now and then.